Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2011 16:00

Old desk tops reused

Hi all

New to this. I have two old dells. One is an xps R450 and the other a dell dimension 450. Is it worth it to try to rebuild one of these into a reasonable fast computer?

Thanks

Buck

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 14th, 2011 17:00

Hi Buck,

No, I'm afraid it isn't. A new motherboard is unlikely to fit, and there isn't any part aside from the case that could conceivably be used. I'm afraid they're destined for the recycling bin at your local electronics retailer.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 14th, 2011 17:00

Hi all

New to this. I have two old dells. One is an xps R450 and the other a dell dimension 450. Is it worth it to try to rebuild one of these into a reasonable fast computer?

Thanks

Buck

Heyshaker

Buck,

No, on the XPS R450, the case, motherboard and power supply are Dell proprietary, it would cost more to upgrade, than buying a used Dell Inspiron 530 MT from eBay.

Regards to the Dimension 450, Dell does not have this model listed, have you posted the correct model number?

I have an 11+ years old L Series, keeped as a curiosity, that's been upgraded to the max, without replacing the Intel 810e motherboard, or the PSU, using old 'pulled' components and it will always be a slow system, fit for only eMails and browsing the web.

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 14th, 2011 18:00

I built up a Dimension 3000 using an OCZ Fatality 550-watt power supply, WD 2tb hard drive, Gigabyte G31 mainboard, and Intel Pentium Dual Core E5500, but the chassis is standard micro-ATX and even then, I had to rewire the front audio port using two pairs of special crimping pliers.

No Events found!