Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

March 27th, 2017 13:00

Optiplex 390 & Windows 10 + sysprep = USB issues (no keyboard/mouse)

Hello,

I have a bunch of Optiplex 390 that have been donated to my rural public library. I have setup one with Windows 10 Professional x64 1607 fully patched & all the latest bios/drivers for the unit. Everything is working great.

I then took a pre-sysprep image & then ran sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown. That completes properly & shuts the system down. I then took a post-sysprep image and applied that to some of the other (exactly the same) Optiplex 390.

However when the system boots up on the original or any of the cloned 390 it will boot to the "select timezone" section of OOBE which is the first screen, however I then lose all keyboard/mouse functionality. No matter what usb keyboard or mouse or usb port I use none of them respond. I can reboot the machine & with the same keyboard/mouse/usbport access/navigate the bios. I have tried resetting the bios back to defaults & that did not help. Hoping someone might be able to help out with this. All the computers are USB2.0 AFAIK, no usb3, but AFAIK win10 shouldn't have issues with either?

Thanks,

Keith

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

March 27th, 2017 17:00

Hi Keith, 

Were you able to get this resolved? Unfortunately since this system was not developed/tested with Windows 10 by Dell support will be limited. With that said, this doesn't sound like a Windows 10/Dell/USB support issue etc.(since you got it working on the first system) but more of a sysprep problem. I think with a question like this you might get more support from Technet or various other forums that deal with this type of question on system/OS deployment. 

Also for something like this I wouldn't limit it to Optiplex 390 but try searching for Windows 10/USB/sysprep etc.  

Lastly, I happened to stumble across your post outside of the forums, did you happen to have any luck with waiting for the system to load/install the USB drivers after setting the system up? The good news is I guess you could load each system manually, but obviously if you can get this working it would make this process a lot quicker and easier to maintain.  

Best regards,

Brad 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 28th, 2017 06:00

Sysprep does not allow cloning nor can the "image" have patches/service packs.

This is why there is WIN7SP1 slipstreamed.

Sysprep with Imagex is not a slipstreaming tool.

Cloning of any kind is not supported by Microsoft or Dell.

43 Posts

April 24th, 2017 13:00

@Dell-Brad L - Yes I was able to get this resolved. I gave up on Windows 10 x64 1607 & tried it with 1703 fully patched. It worked without issue. I made sure to install the same suite of software (some versions slightly newer than when I tried building this on 1607) & it worked. I am fine deploying 1703 so that is no problem. Mouse/Keyboard worked as expected after the sysprep/clone process.

No Events found!