Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 10th, 2008 18:00

Optiplex 745 - solid amber light

I'm having some difficulty with an Optiplex 745. When powering on it does nothing (black screen, doesn't post) but give off a solid amber light. I contacted dell support and they sent a new motherboard/power supply. After installing the new items, it still doesn't do anything but give off a solid amber light. I've tested the memory, the power supplies, hard drive and cd drive and they're all in working order so I'm confused as to why this is happening.

Any help would be appreciated.

6 Posts

March 10th, 2008 19:00

I just figured out what is causing my Optiplex GX280 to do the same thing, it is the power
adapter that died. It is behaving the same way that you described yours. Luckily for me I
had other Optiplexes around so I put a working power adapter in it and it worked. So that's
what your problem could be.

34 Posts

March 10th, 2008 19:00

Wow, that's a weird one.  When I saw the subject, I was going to say power supply and maybe mother board.  Looks like you have both of those eliminated.  I would only connect the two power inputs to the mother board so you eliminate those two as issues.  You could also pull a known good power supply from a working system and put that in, just in case Dell sent you another bad power supply.  The other possibility is that there is something wrong with you power button.  It looks like most of the power buttons are hooked up to a small circuit card.  This could be the culprit. 

I would go after the power supply still as this is the typical culprit.  Make sure you put a KNOWN GOOD in the PC.

Good luck and tell us how it goes!

6 Posts

March 11th, 2008 11:00

Dougneb,
This is what I did. I unplug the power adapter from the bad pc and plugged in a working
power adapter from another Optiplex (I have others). I pressed the power button and it
booted immediately. Checked the 2 connectors that plug into the motherboard (P1 and P2), P1
looks fine but pin 4 on P2 is burned. The connectors all have beige color so the burned color
of pin 4 stands out because it was completely burned, with part of the plastic melted. And
also pin 3 is burned too but slightly.
Just my 2 cents.

March 11th, 2008 12:00

Thanks for all the help, turned out it was the processor. Of course, it was the very last option that I tried, go figure.

3 Posts

June 24th, 2013 05:00

Am happy to joint this community

3 Posts

June 24th, 2013 05:00

I have problem with my optiplex 745 desktop computer, when i on it the power light is bliking amber

No Events found!