Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 11th, 2013 06:00

Optiplex 755 (Desktop) - Best video (graphics) card for use with riser?

Hi all,

I have an Optiplex 755 (Full size Desktop chassis) and I want to upgrade the video card.

At the minute it has a Radeon 5450 low profile, which is ok but can be quite slow in flash applications and general windows environment. 

The PC is mainly used for 2D work - office, web browsing etc but I do watch quite a lot of HD videos (using WMP or VLC or iPlayer) and do quite a bit of flash work.  No gaming. 

I understand I'm limited to a card which draws no more than 75W (so it can be powered solely from the PCI-E slot.   I can use the G5459 Riser, so can use full height cards - but from the looks of it the video card length will be limited when using the riser (as long cards will hit the CPU heatsink).  Length doesn't appear to be an issue without the riser. 

Any advice?

Cheers,

Gareth

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 11th, 2013 12:00

The Desktop DOES NOT have a 305W power supply.  You are Limited to 25W not 75W.

The riser does not change this.  A radeon 6450 is 31Watts.  Radeon 6570 is 60 Watts.

Using cards that take 75W can lead to power supply failure and total death of RAM, CPU, Hard Drive when the Power supply Fails overvoltage and Fries everything.

DELL™ OPTIPLEX755 Specifications

Even if you get a Tower You CANNOT USE Double wide cards because they don't Physically fit.

19 Posts

January 12th, 2013 07:00

Thanks for your reply.  

I know the desktop doesn't have a 305W power supply, it is a 280W unit.  

With the current CPU (Q6600) and graphics card (HD 5450) I have calculated that the minimum PSU required is 204W (recommended 254W), and that includes 30% capacitor aging.  

Are you seriously saying 25W is the highest power GPU i can use?  Why are there lots of instances of people using HD 6670 (63W) and even the new HD 7750 (55W) in these systems, and all is ok?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 12th, 2013 18:00

25 W is the specification. Its written on the motherboard AND on the specifications for the Desktop.

The Tower Can use a 6670 if its not 2 slots wide.  Over stress on the power supply means it could die and its proprietary not standard size.

Using cards in DT and SFF that use 75W can lead to power supply failure and total death of RAM, CPU, Hard Drive when the Power supply Fails overvoltage and Fries everything.  You can use a Kill a Watts meter to measure how much power is being used.

P3 - Kill A Watt

www.p3international.com › Products › Home Electronics

No Events found!