Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2009 15:00

Optiplex 755 Mini-Tower with Solid Amber Power Light

Hi there. I have an Optiplex 755 That will not turn on. I am building the system for myself and need some serious help. When I plug the computer in from the wall outlet, the light on the motherboard lights up and then when I go to turn the computer on, all I get is a solid amber light on the power button and the fan sounds like its running rather quickly (fairly loud). I have a 1GB stick of pc2-5300 RAM sitting on the DIMM 1 slot, 80GB harddrive in place and hooked up, yet nothing. From reading a few other forums, and the manual, I apparently have an internal power issue (duh...i know right). Heres the fun part...This computer came with the energy star 4.0 power supply which allows you to self-test the power supply and etc.  So, i did that and the power supply, motherboard, and harddrive, all connected the green light on the backside of the power supply stayed green. Oh, im also running a pentium d 915 i believe on the motherboard. I am stumped as to why it stays soild amber on the power button as im fairly skilled when it comes to computers and i know what im doing (for the most part). Could i have received a bad motherboard? thanks for your time!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 29th, 2009 10:00

jahnkend26,

Reseat the memory and then what color are these lights <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> on power on?

5 Posts

January 29th, 2009 12:00

Reseated the memory in DIMM_1 and still get the same results. Also, i get no diagonostic lights to come on. 1,2,3, and 4 are all out when i power it on.

166 Posts

January 29th, 2009 14:00

Have you fitted the CPU yourself? I dont think a 755 mobo and Q35 chipset with run a Pentium D 915, it will run certain Celerons, Pentium Dual Core Exxxx and Core 2 Duos.

5 Posts

January 30th, 2009 18:00

Yes i fitted it myself. If the pentium D that i have won't work witht eh Q35 chipset, which core 2 duo processor should i look for? thanks!

166 Posts

January 31st, 2009 00:00

I am not saying that a Pentium D will definately not work though I very much doubt it and suspect that it is your problem, it uses more power that the later and more effiicient CPUs.

The 755 has a 1333mhz FSB (system bus) so you can use a wide range of processors, the 800mhz FSB E21xx Pentium Dual Cores, the 800mhz FSB E4xxx Core 2 Duos and the 1066mhz FSB and 1333mhz FSB E6xxx Core 2 Duos.

You should also be able to use the 1066mhz E7xxx and 1333mhz E8xxx though not guaranteed, also some of the quad cores.

The best option would be a 1333mhz E6550, E6750 or E6850, guaranteed towork in a 755, the former is massively faster than a Pentium D 915 despite being "only" 2.33ghz, though an E4600/4700 or 1066mhz FSB such as an E6600 would give you a very quick machine.

There are also some Celerons that will run though I am not sure which by model number.

2 Posts

May 29th, 2013 14:00

Hi jahnkend26 I had the same issue with an Optiplex 755 small form factor, and then of search by each page or forum on google I could not find the solution, people was saying or thinking that were the power supply but I tested the power supply with a multimeter and was working perfect. but one day I thinking using hot air station, I decided to try apply hot air to all parts of motheboard but only in the solid electronic components of the motherboard but without box. and what was my surprise that after applying hot air and wait for cool, assemble everything again the PC it turn on, this was the solution to me,  and  amber light disappeared and the green light appeared. if you want try it, I suggest the 968 aoyue station + hot air which you can get inexpensively at amazon

best regards

No Events found!