Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2016 03:00

Optiplex 9020 PSU upgrade

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade the PSU in my Optiplex 9020 so that i can run a better GPU. I bought a Corsair VS550 and the Moddiy adapter (www.moddiy.com/.../Dell-OptiPlex-9020-PSU-Main-Power-24%2dPin-to-8%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html) which was recommended in this forum. 

With everything plugged in, the PSU won't turn on. I tested the PSU with the paperclip test, and it seems to be running fine. Is it possible that the adapter is broken? 

Any one else struggle with the adapter?

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Message

November 12th, 2016 21:00

I know from experience that psu adapters are not very reliable, and really should be temporary, as they tend to fail a lot, however not working out of the box is rare. One thing you could try is, well not ideal, however you could run the original psu to your mother board and cpu, then mount your second psu and use that for your gpu. (make sure you are plugging in the molex end of the adapter) p.s. why couldn't dell just use a 24 pin like everyone else.

November 12th, 2016 23:00

Greetings,

Please try with different adapter since Corsair PSU is working fine.

November 13th, 2016 21:00

Thanks for your responses. I think there was a loose connection in the adapter. I fiddled for a bit, and it started working.

No Events found!