Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

November 17th, 2005 22:00

Optiplex G520 Mod

I was looking at my GX520 mainboard and noticed that it seems be setup for a pci-e x16 slot.  The pins are clearly there, there's just no physical connector.

I have no current need for the upgrade, but has anyone successfully attempted this modification?  Anyone know a shop that would do it?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 19th, 2005 16:00

There may not be bios support and or chipset support for that slot. Adding may have no effect or may damage the board beyond repair.

If you wanted to add such a card you should have purchased a system with Power supply and motherboard that supported such an upgrade.

7.9K Posts

November 19th, 2005 17:00

like i said, i don't need the option.  just wondered if it was possible when I saw the board

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 21st, 2005 16:00

No its not reasonably possible.

7.9K Posts

November 21st, 2005 22:00

i'm still betting that soldering on a connector would make it work.  lacking the skills and time though, I guess we'll just have to leave it at that

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 22nd, 2005 00:00

Since there is No Selection in the BIOS for AGP vs PCI video what makes you think that "Just a connector" leads to anywhere but damage to the motherboard???

7.9K Posts

November 22nd, 2005 12:00

bios support would of course be an issue...    i assumed (haven't checked yet) that there would at least be a way to disable to onboard video so you could add a pci card

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 22nd, 2005 16:00

I should clarify that we are talking about X16 and not AGP but the principle is the same as far as disable onboard Video. Amazing how personally some people get about that and start flaming away. Still the small layout would take expert soldering skill to not short out between pins.

7.9K Posts

November 22nd, 2005 22:00

yes, it would be a pain no doubt, and as I said originally way out of my skill level.

i just found it surprising when i first opened the system up that the pins were already on the board and connected for an x16 slot.

No Events found!