Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2011 05:00

Optiplex GX 520 minitower(?) video cards

A similar question has been asked before but I am hoping for more recent information, if possible.

I would like to install a video card for this pc and would like to hear experiences with various cards and which cards would be recommended based on experience.  There are so many video cards and it seems that each card and pc has specific requirements.  I have limited knowledge of this subject and do not want to buy a card that will not work.  I am also aware that the power supply could be a problem, if so, may I change the power supply.  Please provide recommendations for that as well.  Must replacement parts be Dell parts?

Thank you for your help and consideration

3.7K Posts

December 14th, 2011 07:00

A similar question has been asked before but I am hoping for more recent information, if possible.

I would like to install a video card for this pc and would like to hear experiences with various cards and which cards would be recommended based on experience.  There are so many video cards and it seems that each card and pc has specific requirements.  I have limited knowledge of this subject and do not want to buy a card that will not work.  I am also aware that the power supply could be a problem, if so, may I change the power supply.  Please provide recommendations for that as well.  Must replacement parts be Dell parts?

Thank you for your help and consideration

If your looking for  card, then the6570 HERE is a good card, I use this on my 570. But, your manual specks HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>, say you have a 230w PSU, with that PSU you are limited to what you can use.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 14th, 2011 17:00

The 6670 DDR5 has a power consumption of 50 watts at full load, and a 6570 DDR3 will be significantly below that. Thus, it should be safe for use with a 230-watt power supply.

13 Posts

December 15th, 2011 01:00

Is it possible to switch out the power supply for this model?  Do the above suggestions take into consideration the pcie x1 requirement?  If I do not use the pcie slot, is it possible to add a card in the pci slots (with power upgraded)?  I really appreciate your help.  With limited knowledge I am not even sure of what questions to ask.  It is hard to get answers from dell service all they want to do is push me off to someone else.  Out of warranty seems to be a big deal.  I guess we are expected to buy a new one when the warranty expires or they won't help.  

3.7K Posts

December 15th, 2011 09:00

Is it possible to switch out the power supply for this model?  Do the above suggestions take into consideration the pcie x1 requirement?  If I do not use the pcie slot, is it possible to add a card in the pci slots (with power upgraded)?  I really appreciate your help.  With limited knowledge I am not even sure of what questions to ask.  It is hard to get answers from dell service all they want to do is push me off to someone else.  Out of warranty seems to be a big deal.  I guess we are expected to buy a new one when the warranty expires or they won't help.  

Graphics card slots on modern motherboards are PCIe anyway. You can upgrade your PSU with a more powerful one, and upgrade to a bigger graphics card.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 15th, 2011 17:00

Is it possible to switch out the power supply for this model?  Do the above suggestions take into consideration the pcie x1 requirement?

It's possible to switch out the power supply, but whether it's necessary depends on which card you choose. And unless the machine has a powerful CPU, there's only so much benefit a high-powered graphics card will bring.

The 6670 DDR5 meets or exceeds the performance of the old 8800GT while consuming a fraction of the power. And, it's under $100 and you won't need a new power supply. It should be compatible with a PCIe 1.x slot, but you may need to update the BIOS.

13 Posts

December 16th, 2011 00:00

I seek help not more confusion.I am new to this, it is great to hear of all the things I might do but solutions and explanations would help me more.  If by taking one action it results in my having to take another action and I don't understand how to do things how do these suggestions help.  One person says one thing and another says another thing,  Change the PSU, don't change the PSU, use this card it might work, update the bios.  If I knew which to do I wouldn't be here asking.  I have no idea how to update the bios.  This pc has a 3.2 Ghz processor is that worthy of upgrading the psu or the graphics card, I don't know.  I have read of many people trying many different graphics cards in this model with most not working.  I can't afford to buy cards just to see if they work.  

"It should be compatible with a PCIe 1.x slot, but you may need to update the BIOS."  According to what I have read it has to be compatible.  Is that not true?  "The 6670 DDR5 ..." Which one? I searched ebay for that and found many listed with different requirements and not under $100.  What is the 8800GT?  I see no mention of that anywhere on this post.

I appreciate help but it takes hours to research each suggestion which often leads to other problems.  If you are not aware of the particulars of this pc and what will work please don't confuse me more.  I am already confused enough and looking to those of you who have real answers.  

Thanks to all of you for trying to help.  I do not mean to sound ungrateful.  I really do appreciate your help and understanding.  Please remember some of us lack your knowledge that is why we are here seeking your help.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 16th, 2011 06:00

Lets Be Very clear here.

The OPTIPLEX GX520 any version DOES NOT HAVE an X16 Video slot.   A 5450 X1 card will work as will an Zotac ION-GPU-A-E card in the TOWER version.

Power Supply is Fine for the TOWER Version.   The other issue is that Onboard Video IS NOT DISABLED when an X1 Video card is inserted.

You must use 2 monitors to install the drivers etc and turn off the onboard video in the control panel.  Otherwise the video will show then go black as it switches from the onboard to the PCIE or vice versa.  Update the BIOS to the latest version BEFORE upgrading cards.  This is not theory. I have purchased and used both the ION card as well as the 5450 and they work fine in the TOWER with STOCK Dell power supply.

The SFF has ZERO PCI-E Slots and Low Profile PCI slots. It cannot use a PCI 5450 because the Power Supply is TOO SMALL and Not Upgradeable.

Back View

Micro Center - Zotac ION-GPU-A-E ION 512MB DDR3 PCI-Express ...

Zotac Video Card ION-GPU-A-E 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI HDMI HDCP PCI Expres…

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500164

www.amazon.com/dp/B004GL72K0/ref=asc_df_B004GL72K01822132

System Board Components

Dell™ OptiPlex™ GX520 User's Guide

Mini Tower Computer <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Desktop Computer 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Small Form Factor Computer <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

13 Posts

December 23rd, 2011 02:00

This answer provides the most complete information.  The unfortunate part is that first I do not know how to update the bios.  I have been very leery of trying since everything I have read implies the least error results in a non pc that will not boot.  If you know of simple instructions to update the bios that even a new person like myself could follow I would appreciate your help.  Another thing that occurs to me is that it seems Dell should have provided a part number for any upgrades for these pcs but I cannot find any such listing.  When contacting dell directly on the issue of a video card for this pc I have been given conflicting information and inaccurate information.  Having correct information is all that helps the rest is useless.  

The answer above is thorough and complete.  Specific to the model I asked about and accurate.  Now if I could just learn how to do the other technical things to make it work.  All I really wanted was to insert a card and go which is what all of us with no knowledge wants.  Today you must be a technical expert to do anything on a pc.  

If someone can direct me to simple instructions to do what has been suggested Speedstep I would be thankful.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 23rd, 2011 08:00

Dell OptiPlex System BIOS

Release Date: 12/5/2006

Version: A11

Download Type: BIOS

File Format: Windows/DOS

File Size: 524KB

http://ftp.us.dell.com/bios/

A11GX620.EXE

13 Posts

December 23rd, 2011 08:00

If I click on this A11GX620exe. file it will then install a bios update on the Dell GX520 pc we have been talking about?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 24th, 2011 10:00

The bios is for 520 or 620

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 24th, 2011 20:00

My apologies for not noticing the PCIe 1x limitation.

The reason I warned about the BIOS is that some PCs I have used are not compatible with the ATI 5XXX and 6XXX cards due to BIOS issues.

As for the BIOS executable, it seems to be a Windows executable that can be run from within Windows just like any other application. (Some Dell BIOS updates must be run from removable media under DOS.)

As for technical expertise, it's definitely a lot easier to add parts today than when I got my first PC back in 1989. If the PC is running Windows Vista or Windows 7, Windows may automatically detect, search out, download, and install the driver for you without any intervention. XP, however, will require that you install the driver yourself, either from the CD or a downloaded file.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 24th, 2011 21:00

The 520 visually appears to be the same as the 620 EXCEPT they remove the PCI-E X16 Slot and 2 of the ram slots.

which probably means the motherboards are interchangeable.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 24th, 2011 21:00

I don't know if the OP would be comfortable replacing a mainboard, but there is a GX620 mainboard for sale on eBay for about $30 with shipping.

Obviously a PCI-E x16 card would be a lot cheaper, and that would pay for the mainboard.

13 Posts

December 28th, 2011 00:00

Does it matter which of the GX620 boards.  I have no problem replacing a motherboard but there seem to be many to choose from.  I would want one which would be compatible with the components on the board I've got.  Will any 620 board work or will it require a specific one?  There are several available. In reviewing the data available for the 520 I can't determine which 620 board would be the most likely to work.  Or does it matter?

No Events found!