Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2006 11:00

Optiplex GX270 Power Button blinking amber

Hello,

I have had this issue for a while now with this one system. We have changed the power supply so that isn't it.

When I turn on the machine, the power button blinks amber, there also is a LED on the motherboard that turns on amber as well.

Nothing turns on but that one button blinking.

Thank You for help I REALLY DON'T want to call DELL if i can help it the wait time is horendous.

January 9th, 2006 22:00

try pulling the plug out for about 30 sec. then plug it back in and boot up.

try listening the tower when you boot, if you hear the floppy reading in a strange way repeat.

i have not found out why it does this, but i have 4 computers doing the same thing.

good luck,

john

1.4K Posts

January 10th, 2006 00:00

Search this forum using the term GX270 capacitor and see what you should be looking for.

339 Posts

January 10th, 2006 05:00

Very good point that it may be the capacitors. Still, a blinking amber light is common with a computer that has a bad power supply.

It is so commmon that a power supply is usually ordered for blinking amber light. You should visually inspect your motherboard for bluging or leaking caps.

You should also perhaps unplug and then plug the power cable back in as somebody else already mentioned before me. last but not least, you may try to reset nvram.

If your motherboard looks okay, I would look up the diagnosis light to see what it says. If it is inconclusive, you should call Dell or do the chat thing. You probably need a power supply, but a tad more troubleshooting will give you a very good guess as to if you do or not.

To be honest, at work we have many GX270 computers and the power supplies are usually good. Have few problems with thoughs.

I am hoping the diagnostic codes will help lead you to an answer.

2 Posts

January 10th, 2006 17:00

Well i did call Dell and they shipped me a new motherboard. I put it in and it works. I am not sure what the issue was but the new motherboard fixed the problem so i guess it musthave been a combination of either the power supply and the board or jus the board. Well thanks for the help

339 Posts

January 10th, 2006 23:00

Soulds like it was the board. At least doing the gx270 boards id very easy.

11 Posts

January 11th, 2006 15:00

Keep your eye out for any future problems and you should still suspect the power supply.  On about 1/3 of our GX280's that we replace the motherboards, they have problems reappear (sometimes days sometimes weeks later).  Replacing the power supplies seems to fix most of them.

650 Posts

January 17th, 2006 12:00

Dell had a bad batch of GX270 boards/power supplies. I have replaced 12 in the last 3 months and I also got them to pre-ship me 52 more, so we can replace them before they go bad. Yes it is usually the caps that blow. If you replace one without the other(P.S. MoBo), you will usually have the same problem again. When you work for the State Gov., you can't just sit and wait for them to fail. All of ours so far, have a Service Tag ending in a *****31 or *****41. And most have an "X" in it also. Just curious what ur service tag is.

Jason

339 Posts

January 18th, 2006 00:00

There are many more. You just listed some.

Message Edited by Jbirk on 02-02-2006 11:28 PM

1 Message

January 18th, 2006 16:00

@lpprikej wrote:
Dell had a bad batch of GX270 boards/power supplies. I have replaced 12 in the last 3 months and I also got them to pre-ship me 52 more, so we can replace them before they go bad. Yes it is usually the caps that blow. If you replace one without the other(P.S. MoBo), you will usually have the same problem again. When you work for the State Gov., you can't just sit and wait for them to fail. All of ours so far, have a Service Tag ending in a *****31 or *****41. And most have an "X" in it also. Just curious what ur service tag is.

Jason

Wow Dell is sending you 52 system boards just like that? So if i call them them up reporting my dell issues, will they send me as many system board as i have ordered? Does anyone know of a technote or document reporting the bad batch of system boards?

I've also had 3 system board issues on the 270's in the past 2 months due to bad capacitors.

thanks,

650 Posts

January 18th, 2006 17:00

@Super_Bears wrote:

@lpprikej wrote:

Jason

Wow Dell is sending you 52 system boards just like that? So if i call them them up reporting my dell issues, will they send me as many system board as i have ordered? Does anyone know of a technote or document reporting the bad batch of system boards?

I've also had 3 system board issues on the 270's in the past 2 months due to bad capacitors.

thanks,

Well it took some beating heads, but also our machines are covered under next business day warranties etc, and I am a Dell certified technician. ( I dont know if that makes a difference) and we spend probably in excess of $1 million a year. So i am not sure what they can do for you. Maybe because of what i started, they are putting together a recall. Who knows. BTW-We also received 52 power supplies. The problem is, we did not receive all of the Motherboards yet because they are so behind on production for them. Gee, ya think they had some issues? lol
I just got my Gold Technical Support and my sales manager involved and went from there. Then every time I had a bad one, I let them all know and they kept tabs on it and kept pushing for something to be done.

Good Luck!
J

339 Posts

January 19th, 2006 05:00

We told Dell to be pro-active. We are going to have them send lots of techs to replace them. However, at the moment, we do not know which service tags are at any specific location. We need to have this info to give Dell.

650 Posts

January 19th, 2006 11:00

@Jbirk wrote:
We told Dell to be pro-active. We are going to have them send lots of techs to replace them. However, at the moment, we do not know which service tags are at any specific location. We need to have this info to give Dell.

That was our problem too, ours are throughout the state so we are replacing them ourselves without the Dell technicians.

Good Luck.
J

February 2nd, 2006 17:00

We've had at least 4 270's with this problem, all of which have service tags ending in X741.

Message Edited by john_macdonald on 02-02-2006 01:15 PM

650 Posts

February 2nd, 2006 18:00

@john_macdonald wrote:
We've had at least 4 270's with this problem, all of which have service tags ending in X741.

Message Edited by john_macdonald on 02-02-2006 01:15 PM

sounds like the same batch...........

1 Message

February 3rd, 2006 15:00

I work for the school district and I am faced with a similar problem. My Dell Optiplex 270 when powered up flickers the amber light, sounds a rythmic sound and doesn't display diagnostic codes. In addition, the keyboard NUM/CAPS/SCROLL Locks green lights flicker also. When I opened the cpu, the power aux LED light flickers also (just trying to paint the whole picture). The computer never boots up, it seems to just flicker and sound. Is there any remedy for it or should it just be send back to Dell?

**the computer's service tag ends in a XXXXX31

Candia
No Events found!