Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

August 23rd, 2005 20:00

Optiplex GX280 and Garbled Sound

I have attempted to reinstall the driver provided by dell, other misc soundmax drivers of different versions, wiped out and reinstall all the codecs on the machine, reinstalling windows media player, itunes, and quicktime in various sequences and still have not been able to get proper sound out of the computer.

The computer was playing sound correctly a few days ago. I unfortunately do not know what caused the sound to stop working correctly. The sound plays incredibly compressed and various volumes at certain frequencies/channels are way down. ie. You can hear the background music but barely hear the vocals. And even then it sounds like it's underwater or being played from a low bandwidth internet stream.

It's not the music file itself as it plays normal if I listen through the headphone jack of my ipod. But any sound/music file played on the computer is not correct.

I'm currently running windows XP professional version 2002 sp2. Anyone have an idea how I might be able to correct this?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 24th, 2005 12:00

Check to see if there isnt another speaker out for the Sound. Perhaps you are plugged into the rear speakers instead of the front ones. Several dells now have more than 2 speaker outputs.

4 Posts

August 24th, 2005 12:00

I'm sorry I should have clarified. I'm using a set of headphones to listen out the front port under the door on the front of the computer. I checked and there was only one plug hole. The system used to work fine before but I don't know what has happened since then.

32 Posts

August 24th, 2005 15:00

Try changing the settings for Digital Audio in windows media player.
ECC OR not ecc and digital vs analog playback.
Is this for MP3 files or Audio CD???

Antispyware scan and Virus scan cant hurt.

4 Posts

August 25th, 2005 14:00

This is for mp3 files. I haven't tried an audio cd. But this garbles the sound in quicktime, itunes, and windows media player

4 Posts

August 25th, 2005 14:00

And I also did a virus and spyware scan and it came up with nothing. I've tried rolling back the driver with no success either.

3 Posts

May 4th, 2011 12:00

Did you ever find a reason or solution to this problem? I have the same problem.

Thanks, Peg

No Events found!