Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2014 14:00

Optiplex GX280 cannot boot

I have a problem with an Optiplex GX280 system, it cannot seem to boot correctly so I can install Win XP.

In the BIOS menu, it recognizes my external USB DVD drive (the internal is broken), but when the boot order is arranged so it can load from it first, it bypasses it completely (the dvdrom drive and disk are tested and they work).

I tried to boot from usb flash disk (with many possible configurations), the system sees it, starts to install windows and then it either freezes at "setup is starting windows" or it shows a blue screen either blaming the disk or the memories. I run tests on both and they seem to be fine. The disk (SATA) has been formatted and I don't have any access to the previous OS.

I read somewhere that there might be a problem with the sata drivers of the hard disk. I found one version from dell's support center, extracted it to a floppy disk, but the win xp installation does not recognize them as suitable.

Any ideas on how to overcome these issues? If there are other relevant details that I omissed please let me know.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 16th, 2014 10:00

F6 drivers MUST BE DONE From floppy disk.  Very Few USB floppy drives are supported.  R82876.exe  You have to set bios

Drive 0 = ON and Drive Controller to COMPATIBLE otherwise you get

STOP 0x0000007B  (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE)

September 19th, 2014 07:00

After many days of searching I managed to do this via usb after all. That's good to know though, thank you very much for your time, I'm sure I'll need this again!

No Events found!