Highlighted
jhegyi
Copper

Optiplex GX280 dual monitor question

Does the new Optiplex GX280 support dual analog (CRT) monitors via the onboard 915G video?
0 Kudos
20 Replies

Re: Optiplex GX280 dual monitor question

jhegyi,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum (DCF).
Dell isn't selling that solution. But this is a workaround:
http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=A15MFF

Message Edited by DELL-ChrisM on 06-21-2004 02:58 PM

0 Kudos
jhegyi
Copper

What about dual flat panels (DVI-D)?  Seems kind of strange that that functionality would not be available in the GX280 when it was in the GX270 (via an add-in card).

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos

jhegyi,

Yes, via the add-in PCI-E video card and splitter:
http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=DVIY-2
0 Kudos
joka2112
Copper

Just some clarification..

Is the "add-in PCI-E video card" the option "DVI (Digital) Adapter Card" that is listed on the website.

Also will this support Dual monitor by extending the desktop, or just cloning the desktop.

Before I buy 2k in flat screens, I want to make sure they do what I would expect

Has anyone tried this with the 280.....

Thanks

0 Kudos
nmycs
Copper

I think that jhegyi's question is a good and valid one. When looking at the video selection section and browsing the 'Help Me Choose' page, it doesn't specifically state that the DVI Adapter PCI Express card supports dual dvi. But if the cable that's available does do either or both extended and cloned type monitor support, what's the final word on this?

-Chris P Sharp

0 Kudos
Fleaman
Silver

At present there's only one way to get dual independant monitors from the GX280 without recourse to a 3rd party PCIe video card.

The integrated Intel GMA900 video can be supplemented with the optional DVI add card which fits in the PCIe slot. It's available for all chassis. The on board VGA and the DVI are both simultaneously active and can be configured in any dual screen mode within the Windows display settings in the usual way.

Please note that the DVI port is DVI-D which means only digital flat panels can be connected. All Dell UltraSharp flat panels have both VGA and DVI inputs so the same model monitor can be used for both displays, albeit one connected via the not desirable analogue connection.

In the same way the GX270 had a 128MB video card option with both VGA and DVI splitter cables so will the GX280, but I hear this will be in 4 - 8 weeks time.

Fleaman

0 Kudos
joka2112
Copper

Looks like that dvi card gets subpar quality... Spec'd at only being able to display 65 hz for a refresh rate... I bailed on getting the gx280 and got a 270 instead. Seems intel has been having issues with the motherboard, and its trouble I dont want.. Good luck with what everyone else gets.
0 Kudos
mcastilho
Copper

I just ordered yesterday a Optiplex GX280 with a new ATI card that is available:

128MB ATI Radeon X300 Dual DVI/VGA

and then I bougth two Samsung 910T Flat panels monitor....

I have the same setup at work....It's great !

Marcio

0 Kudos
How2do
Silver

Marcio,

Is your GX280 a small form-factor, small desktop or a small mini-tower computer? I know that in a small desktop GX280 you can use only a low profile X300 with only one DVI port. I think a DVI splitter is the only solution in this case.

0 Kudos