Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CN

January 28th, 2008 17:00

Optiplex GX280 wont boot

I am attempting to troubleshoot a GX280 which has been in service for over a year.
When power is turned on, no video activity noted. After a few seconds, the CPU fan begins to spin up and gains speed until it reaches its maximum rpm. Still no bios boot screen.
I have removed and tested all installed memory modules, removed add-on graphics card, and unpluged all USB devices with no results.
There are no motherboard beep codes.
Am I looking at a failed MoBo??

650 Posts

on the back above the USB ports there should be diag L.E.D.s. What colors are they?

4 Posts

They are not lighting up at all.

650 Posts

January 28th, 2008 18:00

ok, i assume the power button isnt sticking, so I would recommend just having Cpu, RAM, and a video port hooked up and try again. Unplug all drives, usb devices, etc...  Also, you can check the capacitors close to the CPU heatsink on the motherboard and look for signs of leaking, swelling,bulging etc...  For the hay of it you can clear the cmos also. < ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
or here ya go:
Clearing the NVRAM for the; 330, 755, 745c, 745, 740, GX620, GX520, GX280, SX280

By Jumper:

Turn off the computer and disconnect the power cable from the electrical outlet.
Remove the computer cover.
Reset the current CMOS settings:
Locate the password (PSWD) and CMOS (RTC_RST) jumpers on the system board.
Remove the jumper plug from the PSWD jumper pins.
Place the password jumper plug on the RTC_RST pins and wait approximately 5 seconds.
Remove the jumper plug from the RTC_RST pins and place it back on the password pins.
Close the computer cover.
Attach the computer stand, if used.
Connect your computer and devices to electrical outlets and turn them on.

is this a Small Mini Tower?  Desktop?

Message Edited by lpprikej on 01-28-2008 02:11 PM

4 Posts

January 28th, 2008 18:00

OK... Disconnected HDD, Optical Drive, & Floppy.  Same symptom
Removed all memory modules... Same symptom
Removed green pswd jumper & booted... Same symptom
Removed CMOS battery & booted... Same symptom
Replaced jumper & CMOS battery & rebooted... Same symptom
Reinstalled memory in DIMM 1 & DIMM 2 slots.....Same symptom

650 Posts

January 29th, 2008 12:00

ok. I would have to say its either PSU or MoBo.  Any chance you have a spare Power Supply to try?

Did you happen to look at the capacitors??

If you want, you can check PSU voltages also too.
following these:

4 Posts

January 29th, 2008 13:00

I removed the fan to get a better look at the capacitors (There are 9 of them lined up behind the cpu) and didn't notice any bulging, leaking. or discoloration.

I connected a spare psu & restarted....same behavior.

So, I guess MoBo, huh?

650 Posts

January 29th, 2008 14:00

ccribb wrote:
I removed the fan to get a better look at the capacitors (There are 9 of them lined up behind the cpu) and didn't notice any bulging, leaking. or discoloration.

I connected a spare psu & restarted....same behavior.

So, I guess MoBo, huh?

I would have to agree.  I cant think of anything else that could be shorting it out like that.

1 Message

August 15th, 2009 19:00

I would suggest u boot with HIREN's BOOTCD after you have tried all the earlier suggestions from IT experts in this bog.

This would sound stupid. I have similar problem, after trying all possibilities, I just tried to boot with this BOOTCD and it came up.

Your problem may be solved too.

Henrybabs

No Events found!