Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2012 03:00

Optiplex GX620 USFF, Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA, install Windows XP

Hello,

I am hoping someone here can help me get my hardware working.

I purchased an optiplex gx620 USFF from ebay with no hard drive.  I installed a seagate 500 gig sata drive that I had (after formatting it).  I have not been able to get windows xp to install on it at ALL.

The drive shows up in the dell bios and the bios is the most recent (A11).  There are no error lights on the back of the case.  I can boot from CD without any issues.

What happens is windows setup will start up, load files, then says "windows is starting up" at the bottom, then after a few minutes the screen goes black/display output turns off, and there's usually a little blip of HDD light activity after that, and then nothing, it just sits with the green power light on and does nothing.  I have used 3 different windows xp install disks, the last of which I used nLite to create a custom install disk and added in "intel chipset driver 7.2.2.1006" which I believe is the correct driver for the optiplex gx620 USFF chipset, as well as SP3.

The next step I was planning was to also add in some SATA controller drivers, however I can't seem to find these in .inf form?  the only drivers I can really find are from dell's site here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/w/desktop/3737.optiplex-gx620-windows-xp.aspx but all of these are install files from what I can tell.

I have done a ton of searching and research, but I'm getting to the point that its pretty frustrating.  I wish windows setup would let you load drivers from something other than a stupid old floppy, that would solve my problems I think...

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 15th, 2012 05:00

What is the exact model of your hard drive? It may be an advanced format drive. I don't know if Seagate has much documentation on them but WD has. Again would need to know the model to help further.

However you can try loading the Intel Rapid Storage Technology SATA Drivers. The f6flpy-x86.zip and application after Windows XP and the Chipset Driver are installed. Its best to slipstreeam these in nlite and not use the floppy.

6 Posts

September 15th, 2012 14:00

natakuc4, thanks for the response.  I can't use a floppy anyway because the USFF version of the GX620 has no floppy drive, or anywhere to install a floppy drive [unless I go out and buy a usb floppy, seems pretty ridiculous though]

Anyway, the hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, exact model is ST3500820AS.  How would I know if it is "advanced format" and what does that mean, I'm not familiar with that term.

Thanks for the link to the other intel drivers, I'll try them out and report back.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 15th, 2012 16:00

Don't use a floppy, use nlite to slipstream them to the CD/DVD. See my instructions here.

Also see Transition to Advanced Format 4K Sector Hard Drives and Where can I find Windows drivers for my SATA drive? (the Intel ones I pointed you to should do the trick).

6 Posts

September 17th, 2012 02:00

Ok I'm still stuck this isn't working... Things I have tried:

2 different versions of nlite custom xp cd's. One using a genuine dell xp media center disk that was provided with my wifes old laptop, and all I did to that was add the intel chipset and ahci drivers.

The other version is a straight up xp pro cd with sp2, which I slipped in sp3 and the intel drivers.

I have tried switching the sata drive mode in the bios back and forth, and I tried turning off the floppy disk.

Remember, this is the usff optiplex gs620. It has no ps2 or keyboard ports, only USB and serial. Also it has a dvi output, and I have a dvi to hdmi cable and hooked it up to my LG 47" HDTV. Could this have anything to do with it?  The screen/video output goes blank/shuts off after the "setup is starting windows" screen, but sometimes I still get some HDD and DVD drive activity lights after this happens...

I really hope someone can help me figure this out, I'm getting tired of this already.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 17th, 2012 06:00

Maybe the 47" TV is too much for the generic Windows XP Drivers, I would try it on a smaller ~17-22" monitor if you have one to hand.

6 Posts

September 17th, 2012 14:00

Ugh, that would mean I have to go out and buy a dvi to VGA cable... Just to test the off chance that is the problem...

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 17th, 2012 15:00

You have to set ATA NOT AHCI to install XP.

Advanced Features

Dell™ OptiPlex™ GX620
User's Guide

LegacySelect Technology Control <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Manageability

Security

Password Protection

System Setup

Booting to a USB Device

Clearing Forgotten Passwords

Clearing CMOS Settings

Hyper-Threading

Power Management

SATA Operation

Configures the operation mode of the integrated hard-drive controller.

Normal — The hard-drive controller is configured for native mode. This mode provides the highest drive performance and most flexibility.

Combination — The hard-drive controller is configured for combination mode. This mode enables compatibility with some older operating systems that do not support SATA drives.  XP Does not support SATA out of the box.

The factory default setting is Normal.

NOTE: Changing this setting affects the order in which drives are listed. However, system setup does not reflect these changes until after a reboot.

6 Posts

September 17th, 2012 15:00

Speedstep, I'm not quite sure what you mean by your post...  I have tried the SATA mode in both normal and combination... Which one is ahci? And which one does it need to be set to to install windows? I'm guessing combination since its green, but you weren't really clear...

6 Posts

September 19th, 2012 03:00

Hello all, I believe natakuc was probably correct.  After using ultimate boot cd to poke around and test the hard drive and memory and such, I tried the windows install cd again.  After the screen went black at "setup is starting windows" I decided to try some keystrokes after looking at some windows setup screenshots.  I hit ENTER (welcome to setup), then F8 (licence agreement), and then F3, enter (partition screen) and the system rebooted.

I am going to go pick up a DVI to VGA adapter tomorrow after work and hopefully finish my install.  Ill report back and verify my hopeful success.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 19th, 2012 08:00

Normal mode is AHCI.   Combination mode is ATA.  Even when installing WIN7 you have to use ata mode then a microsoft patch to switch to AHCI mode.

There is limited support for F6 drivers in XP and only if you have a floppy drive.

If you try to use AHCI and the F6 drivers are NOT THERE you will blue screen

stop:0x0000007b inaccessible boot device

4.4K Posts

May 29th, 2013 06:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                                                                                  

No Events found!