Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 24th, 2009 08:00

PCI video cards for the Dimension 2400

After installing the fastest processor that the Dimension 2400 mother board would handle - 3.06Ghz, H.T. - my video card would no longer display photographic or high resolution pictures clearly.  They were just splotches of multicolored squares whereas line drawings and text are just as good as ever.  In the absence of any newer drivers for the integrated Intel 82845G Graphics Controller I am looking for a PCI video card which has a processor that will handle this faster CPU speed.  Since this motherboard has only PCI slots I need to find a high-end PCI video card. All the video cards out there seem to be the new PCI-E that won't work in the old PCI slots.  Can anyone give me any specific PCI interfaced video adapter card model numbers, those used by Dell preferably that I can look for?  They certainly seem to be difficult to find now days.

Thanks in advance.

3.7K Posts

May 24th, 2009 10:00

Hi danak, Your manual is HERE

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

, and it says you have an 200w or 250w PSU in your system. However, HERE is an link to some PCI graphics cards.

47 Posts

May 26th, 2009 09:00

Thanks!  I recently upgraded the memory to 1Gb but for the life of me I can't remember what the speed was.  If the 3.06Ghz processor works on this board, however, my guess is that it's already at the faster speed.  The original processor was a 2.8Ghz, 533mhz and all I did was match the speed of the older RAM.  I will double check this but I know faster RAM doesn't always work on slower motherboards.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

The Dimension 2400 uses System Ram to share with the Video.

You probably need to update the Ram To be PC3200 aka DDR 400 instead of DDR 333 or DDR 266.

A PCI 2.2 Video Card will Work.

Manufacturer Part# : VCGFX522PEB
Dell Part# : A2438779

A much better card would be

Manufacturer Part# : 512-P1-N724-LR
Dell Part# : A2452506

47 Posts

Thanks.  Not sure what the power supply wattage concern is for since these machines usually have an abundace beyond their needs as they come from the factory but I will check out the PCI video cards you've referred to.  I'm not looking for a gamer card, just something that will get me back on track.

Thanks a million!

47 Posts

July 1st, 2009 17:00

Don't know if anyone is monitoring this any more but I've installed a new nVidia e-GeForce FX 5200 video card by EVGA with 128Mb of RAM on it, double the amount on the system board.  Nice card but, unfortunately, the same video problem still exists.  Most, not all, high resolution pictures such as photos still have a very grainy, blotchy, blocked appearance even at the highest resolution!   I've checked to see if I have the latest driver for the card and I do.

I'm wondering whether this new processor may NOT be totally compatible with this motherboard.  This is just a shot in the dark but is it possible the North and South bridges of this newer processor may not work according to the way the motherboard expects it to?  The North bridge has the AGP feature's function while the South has the PCI features' if I remember my book work correctly.  There's no AGP slot on this board and the video card is PCI.  Also I have the latest BIOS version. 

Is it possible that I've just upgraded my way past the board's capabilities?

If anyone's out there, thanks in advance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 10th, 2017 03:00

Danak, did you get this resolved? Waht processor did you install, and if you found a video card, which one worked? Thank You, dellcom6

No Events found!