Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 1st, 2012 21:00

Power Issue - Blinking Amber LED - Dimension E520

So, I'm working on dusting and re-installing windows on a machine. I did the dusting but now I'm having issues with a blinking amber LED. The system will not power up at all---no fans or beeps.

After looking through some posts for ideas, I'm thinking that it's either a bad power supply or an issue with the heat sink.

I'm thinking power supply because that seems to be a common issue. How can I test the existing one? Is there a way to fire it up without it being connected to the motherboard?

The reason I'm suspicious of the heat sink is that I removed it when I was doing the dusting. I was planning to fire it up tonight and get some new thermal paste in the next few days. I've since read that this could be a recipe for frying the CPU altogether and I'm wondering if the machine isn't firing up as a self preservation check of some kind.

Would it detect if I removed the heat sink? If that's what's going on, will it automatically detect when the new thermal paste is in there? Or is there a reset procedure of some kind?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

As a side note, the design of this box is poor. I can't find any way to effectively dust the heat sink without removing it from the CPU. The openings in the power supply don't match up either, so you can't blow a nice stream of air through the box. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 1st, 2012 21:00

chelseasounder

A blinking amber power switch LED means the computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.

This can indicate a bad power supply

Are the Diagnostic Lights on the front panel lite?

The Diagnostic Codes are here on page 47.

Have you checked that all the cables to the motherboard and drives are properly connected, by disconnecting and reconnecting them?

Bev.

January 1st, 2012 22:00

Update, did a paperclip power supply test and it fired up OK. Seems like it's something on the motherboard then?

January 1st, 2012 22:00

Just did, disconnected everything, removed all of the components, and then reconnected the power supply. Essentially down to PSU and Motherboard but there's still the flashing amber light and no other activity.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 2nd, 2012 09:00

chelseasounder

The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

As the power supply checked out, remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect, if disconnected,  the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died, and/or maybe the processor.  

Note, the processor rarely fails.

Bev.

January 2nd, 2012 17:00

Went and got a new power supply and I'm back up and running. Thanks for the help, Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 2nd, 2012 18:00

chelseasounder

Happy to have helped.

Bev.

1 Message

January 6th, 2012 21:00

What is a "paperclip power supply test" in this context, I'm having the exact same issue, after cleaning out (dusting/vacuuming) the box...

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 7th, 2012 07:00

What is a "paperclip power supply test" in this context, I'm having the exact same issue, after cleaning out (dusting/vacuuming) the box...

BobbyPK

First try checking all the power and data cables to the drives and motherboard, by disconnecting and reconnecting them.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Bev.

4 Posts

August 10th, 2013 07:00

After a friends house was hit by lightning, they brought me their PC. First the power button was solid orange, so I replaced the motherboard. Then the power light was flashing orange, so I tested with a known good power supply, and it fired right up! Hope this helps someone!

1 Message

October 25th, 2014 11:00

Bev,

I know its been a long time, but this post just helped me out.....thanks a bunch

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 25th, 2014 11:00

GQQSER

Bev.

1 Message

December 19th, 2014 17:00

Hi, I have a Dell Dimension E520 with the exact same issue, ive tried unplugging all components, tested power supply with paper clip test and works, got another working power supply, plugged it in and no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 19th, 2014 20:00

tommykins23

Is the power switch LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber, or off?

Are there any 'Beeps', if there are, what is the sequence of the beeps?

Have you made any changes to the e520 recently?

What is the reading of Diagnostic Lights on the front panel?

The Diagnostic Codes and owners manual are here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-e520_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

1 Message

March 30th, 2016 03:00

Hi,

I'm using dell inspiron one 2205.. i has the same problem with solid amber LED. I chacked with all the steps given above nothing works. finally i found that my processor was not seated well on the bread board , i just adjusted it by lifting the liver up and down... and checked finally it works.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 30th, 2016 13:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev. 

No Events found!