Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2002 00:00

Power Light Blinking Orange

Does anyone know what to do? I left the computer for about 10 minutes and when I come back, the computer is off, I can't turn it on and all it does is blink orange. I read here that it has something to do with the power supply, but I have no technical experience and don't want to damage anything inside the chassis. Thanks.

Jose Perez

472 Posts

April 14th, 2002 02:00

You have enabled Standby on your computer. Although it is supposed to work with a desktop, in reality it is for laptops only.

1st, press and hold the power button (for about 5 seconds) This will completely power off your computer.

Then, after rebooting, go into Control Panel and modify your power settings to disable standby.

Charles,
Tag # 6VMY111

Dimension 8200, Bios A03
1.8 ghz P4
256 mb Ram
80 gb HD
NVidia GEForce3 TI200
Dell M991 monitor
Samsung 308b DVD/CDRW combo
Telephony modem
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound (4161 beta driver)
Altec Lansing ADA995 (1BT)
Windows XP Home
(Multibooted with Win98, Win2000, OS/2, Linux)
Roxio Easy CDCreator 5.1.0.104 (platinum)
Office XP Pro (retail)
Power DVD 4 (retail upgrade)
Norton SystemWorks 2002 (retail)

2 Posts

April 14th, 2002 03:00

It's not on stand by, I set it to never go on standby. I can unplug the power, put it back in, press the power button and it will just blink orange, that's why it's more complicated than the standby.

Jose Perez

579 Posts

April 14th, 2002 14:00

Nice answer!
Read the manual!

12 Posts

April 14th, 2002 15:00

Why don't you step away from your normal personality and stop being a jerk.

3 Posts

April 29th, 2003 21:00

I have the same problem - I came back to the computer (which does use standby) and found it impossible to get the machine to run -- pressing and holding the power button just made the CD-RW light blink one, made the fan spin for about a second, and made the yellow/orange lightr behind the power button blink.  None of the diagnostic lights on the back went on. 

I called tech support and was told to try unplugging all drives and cards and seeing if that made any difference.  The tech said that if this did not make a difference, the problem was probably the power supply, and I would need to change it.

I tried unplugging CD drives and hard drive, and also reseating power cables, and that made no difference.  So now I will try replacing power supply.  (Machine is an 8200 bought with 1 year wty, and is now about 1 1/2 years old.)

Incidentally, the tech said that it should be ok to use a computer store power supply rather than one from Dell -- apparently Dell is no longer using non-standard pin outs on its motherboards and power supplies as it did in the 98-2000 time frame.  Also, in trying to figure this out, I read that the power supplies send a "power Ok" signal that the MB must receive in order to initalize.  So that seems to be why you get a blinking light, but no boot, if the power supply fails.

Please let this board know if changing the power supply solves the problem.

1 Message

October 31st, 2005 18:00

I have the same problem. I have a DELL GX 280 desktop and the power goes off after 10 minutes. The power button starts to blink orange. I have checked standby, hibernation, and all of my power management settings and turned them all off. Still having a problem.

I went through my event logs and saw nothing that would indicate an abnormal shutdown due to a hardware or software problem.

Does Dell have any diag software that I can run to find my machine state? If so, where can I get it.

No Events found!