Highlighted
clayton
Gold

Precision 390 with Quad Core CPU

Looking to buy the 390 with a Quad Core CPU, is anyone running this CPU? how quiet is the CPU fan with this CPU installed?

Clayton

0 Kudos
25 Replies
ManyDimensions
Platinum

Re: Precision 390 with Quad Core CPU

claytonb

Just my opinion....

The WS390 is capable of so much better than a quad processor, that I would not even consider it. Unless of course you are thinking Quad Xeon.

If a good quad system is all you need then the Dimension 9200 / XPS 410 runnig a 64bit O/S and 4Gb PC2 6400 Ram is quite fast.

Message Edited by ManyDimensions on 08-22-2007 04:13 PM
0 Kudos
tphillips63
Diamond

It is a very quiet system with the qx6700 and q6600 considering those CPU's are hot.
I have to be within a few feet to even hear them while running.
0 Kudos
clayton
Gold

what advantages will I see with the Quad Xeon?

Clayton

0 Kudos
tphillips63
Diamond

First off you can't get the PWS 390 with a Xeon CPU at all. You would have to move up to the 490 or 690 both of which are dual socket Xeon systems and cost a lot more than the 390. What do you do with the PC? The 390 is Dell's entry level workstation and has the Intel 975x chipset and uses ECC RAM and pro graphics cards. But to answer the question no difference. The 490 and 690 use the Intel 5000 based workstation chipset and Fully Buffered DDR2 ECC which has really high latencies compared to the 975x memory access so even though most quad Xeons are on a 1333MHz FSB the difference in real performance due to RAM differences is not much comparing same amount of RAM and close to same speed CPU's and cores.
0 Kudos
clayton
Gold

They are certainly alot cooler than the early LGA 775 6xx series CPU's I had in a Dim 8400
I don't want the CPU fan spinning at 100 Miles an hour when all I am doing is basic emailing.

Clayton

0 Kudos
tphillips63
Diamond

It won't with the 390.
If you get the q6600 it will be even quieter than the ones I see with the qx6700 because they are hotter than the q6600.

I am sure you will be pleased with the 390. It is a great system IMO.
0 Kudos
clayton
Gold

I don't do gaming or anything heavy for that matter, but would like something fast and quiet so it will serve my purposes for a few years, I like the WS390 and a quad core cpu is ideal

Clayton

0 Kudos
clayton
Gold

The q6600 is the one I am looking at, I can not justify NZ$2000 for a qx6700

Clayton

0 Kudos
tphillips63
Diamond

In that case you should have no problems. It also has Dell's best standard warranty of three years so enjoy it.
0 Kudos