Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2007 18:00

Printer connection to XPS 410 computer

I have an HP DeskJet 932C printer that I want to connect to my new XPS 410 computer.

I don't have the computer yet. I ordered it yesterday.

Does the 410 computer have  a parallel cable connection? My printer is now connected to my old Dimension XPS T600r with a parallel cable.

The HP printer can be connected with a USB cable but I don't have one.
Can I buy a cable that will allow me to use my parallel cable?  Thanks, frankm

151 Posts

January 1st, 2007 19:00

Thanks for the reply.
The Dell rep. told me to buy a "Parallel or Serial adapter to USB" cable. Does this cable plug into my printer or onto the end of my existing Parallel cable?
The DeskJet 932C printer also has a UPS connection but I don't have the UPS cable.
Which would be better and cheaper way to connect the printer?   Thanks, frank

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

You need to use the USB connection.  There is NO Parallel port on new PC's.  A USB cable is less expensive than a PCI Parallel port card.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

You didn't say what operating system you're currently using this printer with. If it's XP and the new system has XP, that's ok, but what if the new system has Vista?

Here's what HP has to say about printer drivers for Vista:
http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/cache/307885-0-0-225-121.html

Assuming that your printer is supported by whatever version of Windows you'll be using, you should connect it to the new PC with a USB cable. You can buy USB cable at local PC shop, Radio Shack, Walmart etc. New PCs don't have serial or parallel ports.

Make sure you follow HP's instructions on installing the printer for USB. That usually means installing the software BEFORE you connect the printer and only connecting the printer when the software tells you to do it. Otherwise Windows may install the wrong drivers and you'll have lots of problems.

Ron
Edit: As usual, fireberd types faster than I do... :)

Message Edited by RoHe on 01-01-200701:05 PM

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 1st, 2007 22:00

It's typically an adaptor that fits on the end of your parallel cable and allows it to plug into a USB port on the PC, though you can probably buy a whole cable with parallel connector for printer on one end, and USB for PC on the other

Parallel>USB adaptors/cables don't always work very well. If it were me, I'd opt to buy a USB cable and connect the printer using its own built-in USB port directly to a USB port on the PC. Less likely to run into problems that way.

Ron
No Events found!