Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 15th, 2013 07:00

Problem with Dell Inspiron 560s

For about two weeks I have been having an increasingly worsening problem with my computer.  On the front of the tower there is a lighted icon of what looks like a battery.  This light flickers when the computer is on.  The computer works fine for about 10 - 15 minutes and then freezes up.  At the same time the lighted icon goes dark.  When the computer freezes I have to force it to shut down by depressing and holding the power button until it shuts down. 

I'm assuming this is a problem that I will have to take to a service center.  Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong?

Thank you!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 15th, 2013 10:00

That might be the hard drive activity light which blinks when the drive is being accessed.  

This could be as simple as a corrupted software (eg, video driver) or a hardware problem.

What color is the power button after it freezes, and is it steady or blinking?

Have you installed any new software or hardware recently?

After it freezes and you reboot, open Windows Event viewer and look for any error messages around the time of the freeze.

Reboot and press F12 before Windows (what version?) starts to load. Go to Utilities partition and run the hardware diagnostics.

No Events found!