Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2008 15:00

Problems with monitor display (XPS 420 running Vista)

Every time the monitor turns off the display (when not in use), it is impossible to wake it up. I need to restart the computer every time… it is frustrating! There is no problem with the computer, it is just the monitor that doesn’t seem to receive the signal back from the computer when it resumes activity. The same happened when switching users.

Can anyone tell me if it is a problem with the settings in power options? Or is it the configuration with the monitor (Dell 24 inches E248WFP) or the video card (768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX)?

Thanks!

1.2K Posts

January 29th, 2008 17:00

Jix,

You might try changing the suspend level in the bios. Should be in the power options. Look for something like S3 vs S1. One of the settings goes to a lower power down level than the other. I always use the one with the higher power level.

241 Posts

January 29th, 2008 18:00

Sounds like my current PC and monitor (HP w2207h), when the monitor goes into sleep on my XP partition it never seems to wake up. I can usually get it working by pressing some buttons on the keyboard, opening task manager. If that fails I turn off the monitor using the power button on it and turn it back on, if I have sound on I can hear it being detected by the OS again and it goes into life seconds later.

6 Posts

February 4th, 2008 18:00

MichaelO,

Thanks a lot for your reply, but unfortunately I could not find the S3 vs S1 option (definitely nothing on power options). I believe I searched in the right place.... Any other suggestion?

Regards,

Jix

14.4K Posts

February 4th, 2008 20:00

Jix

According to your manual here

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps420/en/OM/HTML/appendix.htm#wp1054035

you have 3 options in the bios to check/set...Low power, suspend and Quick resume..

These should be under the power management section of the bios.

6 Posts

February 5th, 2008 21:00

Davet

Thank you for the instructions, I did it and it worked!

Jix

14.4K Posts

February 5th, 2008 22:00

gald to here it works..

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 6th, 2008 19:00

Jix,

What did you choose?

Low Power Mode = Off
Suspend Mode = S1
Quick Resume = On

6 Posts

February 12th, 2008 11:00

Chris,

What I did was to change the power options S1-S3. Unfortunately though, I rushed a bit my enthusiasm by saying that the problem was solved. Because I tried it once (made the power options changes, put the computer to sleep and then waked it up almost immediately) I thought it had worked. But the problem persists: I am unable to wake the monitor up after it has gone to sleep or anything else that turns off the display (including switching users).

I have tried many things: updated drivers, updated BIOS, changed power schemes. Don't know what elso to do. I have also contacted Dell Support but they are running out of options. I really need some help here.

Jix

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 12th, 2008 12:00

Jix,

Sounds like an operating system issue, not a hardware issue. I just work around it by not using hibernate or standby. Microsoft never fixed this in XP, not totally anyway.
Message Edited by DELL-ChrisM on 02-12-2008 08:01 AM

6 Posts

February 12th, 2008 13:00

Chris,

My impression is that there is something wrong in the configuration of my system. Otherwise, I would assume that it is a very common problem, but I haven't heard of anybody else sharing the same problem (so far).

Now I have my computer with the sleep feature disabled, as you suggest, but that doesn't fix the problem when I try to switch users (and also, in terms of energy consumption, is a very expensive solution!).

Jix

No Events found!