Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2012 21:00

Question about hard drive in Inspiron 620

I'm receiving a new Inspiron 620 MT, and the packing slip lists the hard drive as "Module,Hard Drive,1TB,7.2K,SGT-PHAR 6G." What does "SGT-PHAR 6G" mean?

I also see this listed: "Software,Dell Connect 2.1,Dell Americas OrganizationEMEA,Brazil Customer Center." What exactly is this?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 21st, 2012 05:00

Hi Clouldeleven,

"SGT-PHAR 6G" must be some sort of model designation.

Dell Connect is a support tool used by Dell.

Good luck with the new desktop!

2 Posts

April 22nd, 2012 16:00

Could it mean Seagate 6 Gb/sec?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 08:00

Hard Drive 1TB 7 2K SGT-PHAR 6G

Model ST1000DM003 1 TB 64MB

EMEA is Dell Emerging Countries aka NON USA

Its marketing.  This drive is not a Crucial M4 CT512M4SSD1CCA

Sustained Sequential Read:Up to 500 MB/s (SATA 6Gb/s)
Sustained Sequential Write:Up to 260 MB/s (SATA 6Gb/s)
4KB Random Read:Up to 45,000 IOPS
4KB Random Write:Up to 50,000 IOPS
Power Consumption (Active):0.28W
Power Consumption (Idle):< 100 mW

1 Message

May 7th, 2012 12:00

I also bought this same configuration, and this hard drive is mounted very loosely, so there is a loud virbation from it. Dell says "go to radioshack and get rubber mounts". They don't carry them and I don't seem to be able to find them. Probably not looking in the right place. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 9th, 2012 13:00

Hi Johck,

WOW! That's annoying. And Dell tells you to go buy rubber mounts?

Did you see if you are able to tighten the screws or brackets? I think there is a screw holding each bracket to the case, and two screws holding each bracket to the drive.

158 Posts

June 7th, 2012 19:00

" What exactly is this?"

I have been wondering the same thing.  This drive is keeping my "Windows Experience Index" @ 5.9, everything else is in the 7.? something range.

Curious that this question is unanswered.  If you look the part number up here on Dell = H652R all it says is:

DELL

1 TB 7200 RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive for Select Dell Alienware / Inspiron / OptiPlex / Studio / Vostro / XPS Laptops / Precision WorkStation Desktop

Manufacturer Part# VMVCW

Dell Part# 342-1012

Spindle Speed: 7200 rpm

Guess that means it is a Dell manufactured hard drive - perhaps built in an emerging country like Brazil?  SGT would lead one to think Seagate, apparently not.  Well it's been working perfectly for three years.  Whoever built it did a good job.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 7th, 2012 21:00

" What exactly is this?"

I have been wondering the same thing.  This drive is keeping my "Windows Experience Index" @ 5.9, everything else is in the 7.? something range.

Curious that this question is unanswered.  If you look the part number up here on Dell = H652R all it says is:

DELL

1 TB 7200 RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive for Select Dell Alienware / Inspiron / OptiPlex / Studio / Vostro / XPS Laptops / Precision WorkStation Desktop

Manufacturer Part# VMVCW

Dell Part# 342-1012

Spindle Speed: 7200 rpm

Guess that means it is a Dell manufactured hard drive - perhaps built in an emerging country like Brazil?  SGT would lead one to think Seagate, apparently not.  Well it's been working perfectly for three years.  Whoever built it did a good job.

daemoncycler

7200rpm hard drives usually only give a Index 5.9 reading, if you want a better Windows Experience Index reading, install SSD hard drives.

Dell does not manufacture any hard drives, they use the makes/brands that you can buy retail. Sometimes the hard drives are rebadged with the Dell name, especially the refurbished drives.

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 7th, 2012 23:00

My 128gb SSD is a 7.9. The 2tb "green" 5400RPM conventional hard drive is a 5.9.

158 Posts

June 8th, 2012 05:00

7200rpm hard drives usually only give a Index 5.9 reading, if you want a better Windows Experience Index reading, install SSD hard drives.

Dell does not manufacture any hard drives, they use the makes/brands that you can buy retail. Sometimes the hard drives are rebadged with the Dell name, especially the refurbished drives.

Bev.

The Solid State info is good - thanks for that.

daemoncycler

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 8th, 2012 06:00

[quote user="shesagordie"]

Bev.

The Solid State info is good - thanks for that.

daemomcycler

[/quote]

daemoncycler

You are welcome.

I installed a Crucial Adrenaline SSD solution, in one of my desktops, while it did speed IE up, not one iota of difference was made to the WEI 5.9 hard drive reading.

Bev.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 8th, 2012 06:00

I've used the Microcenter Brand and the INTEL Brand SSD's.

The INTEL Drives tend to have more tools, software, instructions, brackets, adapters etc than the generic drives which come in a white box with a tiny piece of paper indicating warranty.

The Fastest Drive I have was a 512 Gig Crucial M4 but it was almost $800.

The Microcenter Drive was $79 -64 Gig and the INTEL Drive was $249 -120 Gig.

158 Posts

June 8th, 2012 17:00

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread, but - 

Actually decided to start a thread of my own re: Which SSD for XPS 435 MT.

thanks,

daemoncycler

No Events found!