Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

February 11th, 2013 12:00

Re recovery disk and hidden partition on dimension 5150C

Hello I wish to create a recovery disk with a dimension 5150C. I can see how to backup the hidden partition with norton ghost, but can't see any way to make a recovery install disk. I need to create this in case the hidden portion fails. Second 'related' question......if imake a backup of the hidden partition using norton ghost, can I then create a hidden partition on a new hard drive and restore this to it and then be able to use ctrl F11 to restore from the hidden partition. Hope that makes sense......just wasn't sure what the PC looks for when ctrl F11 is pressed, maybe it just loads from a hidden partition if found, or maybe it has a special name. Thanks in advance

1.1K Posts

February 11th, 2013 12:00

Hi Keith ,

Unfortunately, there is no way to create a recovery disk in Windows XP. Also, we have not tested to create the hidden partition with norton ghost.

Please reply for any clarifications.

17 Posts

February 11th, 2013 13:00

If not possible, could I be sent a recovery disk from dell......if the hidden partition or HDD fails ....and it eventually will, I will have to re purchase a windows os......I don't think I can use the cd key on the PC case to install a fresh copy of XP, unless you can help me

Thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

It's possible to clone a hard drive completely, including any Dell partitions. I did it with a Dimension 3000. I'm not sure how to do it with Ghost, but it can be done with other products. Personally, I gave up on Ghost after they abandoned their DOS-bootable diskettes, in favor of Acronis TrueImage.

One possible solution is to clone all partitions to a spare drive, which can then be cloned to a new hard drive if need be. Hard drives and external enclosures are inexpensive.

There's no way 3gb constitutes a "full" backup.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

I think you can save the partition backup file to an external device.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

If you have the hidden partition you can restore that to a new drive.  It will be a factory restore only and will erase the contents of the drive.  You would need to clone the drive and run dsrfix.  There are 3 partitions.  DIAG of 60 MEGS, OS , and 8 TO 12 gig recovery depending on the original drive size.  The version of norton does not usually handle drives larger than 120 gigs.  

www.goodells.net/.../dsr-dos.shtml

Restoring the Ghost Image (DSR-DOS)

If the hard disk passes DSRcheck's scrutiny, the autoexec.bat file launches the script file c:\bat\recover.bat to automatically run c:\bin\recover.exe and restore the Ghost image file, c:\img\fi.gho, to the disk's second partition.

Dont be fooled by drive letters. The recovery partition is at the end of the drive. The reason that drives larger than 120 gigs are not supported is that the recovery partition is FAT32.  If its NTFS then the recovery uses dsrfix but windows xp and ghost 10.  The diag partition is type DE. 

The recovery partition is type DB  Ptedit and DSRFIX change them back to what they need to be.

17 Posts

Hi yes I realise this BUT you didn't answer my other questions....

if I back up my partition to an external device can I then restore this to a new  hard drive in a newly created partition and will ctrl F11 still use this new hidden partition to,restore the PC.

The other question is in norton ghost it offers to make a FULL computer backup, which is approx 3gb big, does this INCLUDE the operating system and all apps etc.

Thanks

17 Posts

February 11th, 2013 14:00

Sounds really complicated, it's a pity dell don't allow you to create a recovery disk.......in the usa a recovery cd can be ordered FREE.....also if I am using a NEW HDD with the hidden partition on how can can c auto exec run as there will be nothing on c drive until a restore is done.......

17 Posts

February 12th, 2013 01:00

Using norton ghost to backup hidden partition...it's called dellrestore will this be all I have to do

Thanks

17 Posts

February 12th, 2013 02:00

An update.......there are just 2 hidden partitions.....one called dellrestore and the other called dellutility the first is about 4gb the second is only a few hundred MB...........but I w told there were 3 hidden partitions......

Really am confused now. All I want to do is to back up the restore partitions to allow me to transfer them to another drive if need be.

Why can't dell release the data safe product to allow me to create a recovery disk......so simple.....I actually did BUY the operating system with the PC, so should be allowed to make a backup of it in case of HDD failure......dell not really being very helpful.  I have another PC an ACER. This has a built in facility to make a recovery cd or a recovery disk image, so helpful.......come on dell be more friendly.....

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 12th, 2013 06:00

There are 3 partitions The DE(60 megs) the 07 (80 Gigs) and the DB(12GiG).   The DE is the Diag/Utility Partition. Its Fat16 and hidden. The 07 is NTFS the os.  The DB is the recovery partiton.  Each can be cloned and then DSRFIX run to make it work as recovery.  HOWEVER this does not work with drives LARGER than 120 Gigs because the Recovery is WIN9X DOS on a FAT32 Partition.  The \img\fi.gho and fi.GHS files are a Ghost Image.  Recover.exe is a version of DOS GHOST that does not allow new image recovery.

This is all explained on the site where you get DSRFIX.  

17 Posts

February 12th, 2013 07:00

Hi

I give up......if dell can't be bothered to make it easy for me to make a recovery disk, or supply me with one, as they do in America......I will just format the whole lot and buy another operating system that I will own the disks for and can do anything I want with them.........best advice I ave got from this DON'T BUY DELL

3.7K Posts

February 13th, 2013 13:00

you can aslways use Clone Disk in Acronis, Acronis has also a few other features as well, or buy a disc off ebay.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 13th, 2013 13:00

Using PTEDIT You can unhide and copy the recovery  and Diags to a usb flash drive.  You would however still need a windows disk to repartition and reformat so that you could run DSRFIX and then do CTRL F11 recovery.

1 Message

March 5th, 2013 15:00

Partition tables are which acts as a pointers to the data stored in the logical drives .When the table is corrupted the OS cannot find the necessary files which results in black screen throwing errors. To restore ntfs partition is not a tough task by using a good partition recovery tool .I tried one and It gave me a good results when i tried with my dell pc .the trial version can recover datas from the hard drive and the full version provide the save option...

No Events found!