Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2007 13:00

Rear channel port not working.

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS in my 9100 and the rear channel port doesn't work.  I spoke to Dell like 3 times and they troubleshooted and still nothing.  What is a decent replacement card I can get?

Message Edited by sirsaechao on 08-22-2007 09:03 AM

53 Posts

August 22nd, 2007 15:00

Ok let me try that too.  I mean when I do the troubleshoot myself and check to see that all the speakers/sub is working I can hear the front left & right, sub and I hear a faint sound from the rear left & right.  Not enough to make out the sound nor does it really come out.

Edit:  Also where can I pickup some DeOxit other than online?

Message Edited by sirsaechao on 08-22-2007 11:27 AM

53 Posts

I will try to remove it and put it back to see if that will work.  Also when I take the rear speakers and plug it into the front channel port they work fine.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Are you sure it's the sound card?  Have you verified the speakers are all working correctly?

Some additional troubleshooting if you have verified the speakers are OK. 

(1) Reseat the sound card.  With the PC power off, open the case, unplug the speaker plugs from the sound card then  remove the sound card and then reinstall it, making sure it's fully and correctly seated in the PCI slot.  Power up and see if the rear channel is working. 

(2) If that didn't fix it, reinstall the SB Audigy 2ZS sound drivers.  If you don't have them you will have to get them from the SB site, www.soundblaster.com  whether you have a Retail version or a Dell version,  as Dell for whatever reason does not have the drivers available for download - all they have is an update.

(3) If that doesn't fix it, the current SB Xfi cards are the latest from SoundBlaster.  Many are using that with their new systems.  If you are strapped for money or need to get something to try, the $30 SoundBlaster Audigy SE will support surround sound (you can even get this card at Wal Mart).

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

If you plug your speaker system into the front headphone jack and they work, you do not have a surround sound system, apparently just a 2.1 stereo speaker system (a bass speaker and two smaller speakers).  In this case I would suspect a dirty jack on the sound card.  Plugging the speaker plug in and out several times may fix the problem.  If not, some contact cleaner, such as "De Oxit" (Brand name that many techs such as myself use) sprayed in the jack may clear up the problem.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2007 18:00

Well, if you do have surround sound, the headphone jack is only two channel stereo. 

You can get DeOxit at a Sam Ash music store and I think Guitar Center music stores if you have one around.  If not, you can get other contact cleaner at most Radio Shack's and that will probably work.  But, make sure it's "contact cleaner", not "tuner cleaner".

53 Posts

August 22nd, 2007 18:00

Thanks for the info. :smileyhappy:

53 Posts

August 23rd, 2007 03:00

My mistake...it is actually my front channel port that doesn't work.

53 Posts

August 23rd, 2007 12:00

I tried to delete the drivers from my computer but there was a bunch and I didn't see the SB sound card.  So I left it and d/l a new driver and now it won't even play sound at all.  What did I do wrong?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 23rd, 2007 15:00

I don't know.  Try using the "System Restore" function and restore it to a date prior to deleting the drivers, etc and see if that gets the sound back.

53 Posts

August 23rd, 2007 16:00

How do I get to the System Restore cause I've never used it and I'm lame when it comes to computers?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 24th, 2007 09:00

System Restore is found under Accessories/System Tools.

53 Posts

August 24th, 2007 11:00

So a Dell Tech took over my computer last night and checked every thing out.  He uninstalled the device & software and reinstalled it and we found out that it is my speakers that is messed up.  One channel works but the other doesn't.  When I hook a set of speakers to the front channel it works along with the rear and sub.  So now I need a new set of speakers.  I'm thinking a 4.1 since that is all I have room for.
No Events found!