Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2011 13:00

Reboot to FACTORY SETTINGS

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to restore my laptop to factory settings. It is an inspiron (?) that was provided with Vista but updated to Windows 7 straight away. I had my disc drive replace about 6-9 months ago as it broke, don't know what other work was done!

I have all the discs,  but none work. I have tried f8, f12 etc but there are no options that are appropriate. When I go to image restore it tells me it needs a disc, but again none of them work!!!!

Please, Please, Please help ... I've got work I REALLY need to do and can't. (Main problem is that I can't use microsoft word 2000 anymore, and it won't repair / reload correctly when I try using the microsoft discs!!!   :(

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 5th, 2011 14:00

Since you had the hard drive replaced, you probably don't have a factory image any longer, unless you created an image disk using Win 7's backup feature right after installing Win 7.

So you'll have to boot from the Win 7 DVD, reformat the hard drive and do a clean Windows install, followed by drivers (in the correct order) and then software.

Keep in mind that all personal files and software you installed will be lost during the reformat/reinstall, so you must back up your files on external media first.

BTW: What's the reason you want to revert to 'factory image'?

Ron

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

May 6th, 2011 08:00

One more thing to mention--Word 2000 does not work with Windows 7. You need to upgrade to a later version of Office. If that's the only reason you want to reinstall windows, don't bother.

2 Posts

May 6th, 2011 09:00

Ooops, Lol it was mainly because I couldn't get windows 2000 to work. Thank you so much for your advise. I seem to have restored it last night using the vista disc followed by the windows 7 disc.

The computer was also running really slowly so hope there is still an improvement in that. Not had chance to test it today as at work. But will need to upload all my programmes and internet agin.

Is there a microsoft 2010 / 2011, and would that work with windows 7? I need to be able to work on microsoft word documents that were created in word 2000. Does that make sense, Can I download the microsoft software (even if I have to pay for it)  instead of buying it from the shops?

Thanks again

Jac

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 6th, 2011 11:00

Word 2000 is not compatable with Vista.

You would need to use XP Mode or Virtual PC on windows 7 Pro or Ultimate and then install

it there.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 6th, 2011 11:00

I presume you mean Office 2000...

Windows 7 has a compatibility mode which may allow you to run Office 2000. Assuming Office 2000 will install in Win 7, riight-click your shortcut for Word 2000 and select Properties. Click Compatibility tab and set it to the latest version of Windows which you know will run Office 2000.

Both Office 2010 and 2011 work with Win 7. Both should be able to open .doc files and/or convert them to the new .docx format.

Ron

No Events found!