Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 29th, 2006 19:00

Removable Disk D, E, F, G, DVD Drive (H)and DVD-RW Drive (I)

I just bought a Dell Dim E510 with 16X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD+/-RW.  I also wanted the 13 in 1 media card reader and the Floppy disk drive.  I was disappointed that the Floppy was an external unit because I thought it was going to be built in, however they built in the media card reader.

My question here is and I hope it's not a really stupid one, when I open "My Computer", it lists Local disk (C); but then it lists under Devices with Removable Storage: 3 1/2 Floppy (A); then Removable Disk (D), (E), (F), and (G), DVD Drive (H)and DVD-RW Drive (I) .  This is my first experience with Windows XP so I'm not at all sure what I'm looking at.  I actually have an external drive that I would like to install but I don't know what will happen with all those Drive letters.

My old computer had Win 98 and when I added a second hard drive with partitions and a CD Burner, I had several Drives listed but I knew that each letter either represented a hard drive or a partition. With this new computer, I'm not sure what Drives D, E, F and G are referring to.  I'm assuming C isn't partitioned into smaller drives because the D - G are listed under Devices with Removable Storage. It just seems very confusing.

Again, I'm hoping this isn't a really stupid question. 

The other problem I have is I'm not at all sure what I can do with the 16X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD+/-RW drives.  Are there any instructions or articles around that could help me learn about them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 29th, 2006 20:00

Looks like you must have a card reader. You can change the drive letters if you like.

The dual drives come in handy for doing disc-to-disc copies. Most of the time, you'll use your ROM drive, and only once in a while will you be burning discs in the DVD±RW.

33 Posts

January 29th, 2006 22:00

Are you saying Drives D,E,F and G are the card reader?

Thanks.

10.9K Posts

January 29th, 2006 23:00

Yes, D, E, F, and G are the card readers; and H and I are the CD drives.
If you add a removable hard drive it will likely be J.

My system has the card reader also and matches you letters, except, my
hard drive has three partitions, C, J, and K.

7 Posts

February 5th, 2006 12:00

I have seen yor name on a lot of reply post I am new to the forum and so far it's better than the dell tech support. I have the same setup on an e310 I made dvd rom d and dvdrw e dvd's on ide primary both drives jumpers set to master there is a loose orange wire parallel to data cable. card reader on ide secondary is this normal? I had to reinstall xp after ghost 2003 wouldn't see usb keyboard.I'd rather have a floppy is the success rate pretty good on repairing mbr? unknown partition fat 32 healthy fat partitions deleted.sorry for the verbosity mike

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 8th, 2006 12:00

Mike:

Sorry, you've completely stumped me. What is your question?

1 Message

April 9th, 2016 09:00

jgr789 wrote the following post at 29 Jan 2006 9:18 PM:

I just bought a Dell Dim E510 with 16X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD+/-RW.  I also wanted the 13 in 1 media card reader and the Floppy disk drive.  I was disappointed that the Floppy was an external unit because I thought it was going to be built in, however they built in the media card reader.

My question here is and I hope it's not a really stupid one, when I open "My Computer", it lists Local disk (C); but then it lists under Devices with Removable Storage: 3 1/2 Floppy (A); then Removable Disk (D), (E), (F), and (G), DVD Drive (H)and DVD-RW Drive (I) .  This is my first experience with Windows XP so I'm not at all sure what I'm looking at.  I actually have an external

2.3K Posts

April 9th, 2016 13:00

Can someone lock this thread, its older then dirt...

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 9th, 2016 14:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev. 

No Events found!