Highlighted
3Stratman
Copper

Replace DVD-CD-RW drive on Inspiron 530

So the other day the dog's tail was wagging and it hit the eject button on my DVD drive, and the tray opened, unnoticed by anyone. A few minutes later, the daughter got up from the table and hit the tray with her shin, ripping the tray out of the unit. DOH!  So I know the tray will not go back in and work right after this, and a  new drive unit is in order. Since the face of the unit is behind a flip down cover, do I have to use a specific replacement, or will your average unit work for a replacement? I want to make sure the tray will eject properly through the outer flip down cover, and the outer eject button will line up with the one on the replacement drive.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
shesagordie
Diamond

Re: Replace DVD-CD-RW drive on Inspiron 530

3Stratman

You can use any SATA DVD/CD drives, similar to the drives shown HERE

I replaced my broken Inspiron 530 mt  DVD drive, with a SATA Liteon CD/DVD burner without any problems.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
bnewcol
Bronze

Bev - does your Inspiron have the door flap that flips open before the drive tray comes out?  I have that and need to replcace DVD drive, but want to make sure what i get will work with the flap.  thank you.

0 Kudos
shesagordie
Diamond

bnewcol

Yes, it does.

I purchased a retail and installed DVD/RW SATA drive, similar to the burner shown here,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
bnewcol
Bronze

Thank you!

0 Kudos
bnewcol
Bronze

I just noticed this is a 24x writer, the one I have now is 16.  Was your previous one a 16x?  Wondering if it will work if I get a different speed burner than the one I have now, if the rest of the system is ok with it.

0 Kudos
shesagordie
Diamond

bnewcol

"I just noticed this is a 24x writer, the one I have now is 16".   This should make no difference, as the drive will only write faster.

I believe it was, the original drive was a Dell factory part, that failed and replaced by a second DVD/RW by Dell under warranty and the second drive failed about a month after the warranty ended. 

Then I replaced this with a retail DVD/RW, purchased from www.newegg.com ,that is still working without any issues.

Bev. 

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
bnewcol
Bronze

OK, great!  New Egg it is, I love those guys!  Thank you Bev.

0 Kudos
shesagordie
Diamond

bnewcol

You are welcome and I'm happy to have helped.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
bnewcol
Bronze

Bev, how did you remove that drive?  I just tried, and it only slides about 1/2 inch and I cannot remove it any farther.  Mine is in the very top slot, with the fan on the back side so there is not a lot of room to move it about.  I don't have to replace it tho, good news, when trying to do whatever I did, it fixed the problem.  But I am curious how you got yours out, mine doesn't seem to want to come out. Had all the screws unscrewed.

0 Kudos