Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2003 01:00

Restart Old Dimension P60

I'm trying to get this old computer started as a backup. I has Windows 95 a CD Rom and two hard drives and a floppy. It boots up to "Starting Windows 95" and gives me a a:\. I try to change to C: drive to run Win95\setup but is gives message "Invalid drive spec". I also tried d: nd e: and get the same message. I know Windows 95 is installed and the computer was working 2 years ago when I put it on the shelf. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to how I might get this computer up and running.
Thanks!

279 Posts

January 22nd, 2003 02:00

try this

Go into windows in safe mode or hit f8 while computer is booting and chose the dos prompt. At prompt or at the dos emulator in windows (start-programs-msdos prompt) type in c:\windows\options\cabs. Now type in setup and windows will restore itself (don't worry, none of your data will be lost). What this will do is repair any missing files of windows (assuming the cab files were copied to your hard drive (usually brand name pc's)). It will be fast, but you can use a windows disk if this doesn't work.

or this link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q143283

18.8K Posts

January 22nd, 2003 03:00

Hugh Williams,

It sounds like the hard disk and CD-ROM drivers have gotten corrupted. If you don't have an emergency boot diskette download one from here. Boot with that diskette, then change drives to your CD-ROM drive (type D:) and use the Windows 95 CD to run setup from there.

No Events found!