Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2005 15:00

Return of defective PC

My question refers to return of a defective PC.  If this is not the correct forum, I apologize. 

Senario.  If I were to receive a replacement PC, how much time do I have to return the defective unit?  Next, Is it acceptable to Dell that I format the hard drive on the defective PC before returning it to Dell?  This precaution is for obvious reasons of privacy and protection of information on the drive.

Thanks.

11.9K Posts

March 8th, 2005 15:00

@SPAT61 wrote:
My question refers to return of a defective PC.  If this is not the correct forum, I apologize. 

Senario.  If I were to receive a replacement PC, how much time do I have to return the defective unit?  Next, Is it acceptable to Dell that I format the hard drive on the defective PC before returning it to Dell?  This precaution is for obvious reasons of privacy and protection of information on the drive.

Thanks.

Yes, you can format the hard drive, or wipe it, prior to returning the unit.  In the exchange process you will receive information as to when the new one must be sent back, but you do have time.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 8th, 2005 16:00

Dell doesn't send out replacement pc's until the return is received, for obvious reasons. Parts are sometimes sent before returns, but not whole pc's. Here's what the warranty says: " When you contact us, we will issue a Return Material Authorization Number for you to include with your return. You must return the products to us in their original or equivalent packaging, prepay shipping charges, and insure the shipment or accept the risk if the product is lost or damaged in shipment. We will return the repaired or replacement products to you. We will pay to ship the repaired or replaced products to you if you use an address in the United States (excluding Puerto Rico and U.S. possessions and territories). Otherwise, we will ship the product to you freight collect."

11.9K Posts

March 8th, 2005 16:00

@Mary G wrote:
Dell doesn't send out replacement pc's until the return is received, for obvious reasons. Parts are sometimes sent before returns, but not whole pc's. Here's what the warranty says: " When you contact us, we will issue a Return Material Authorization Number for you to include with your return. You must return the products to us in their original or equivalent packaging, prepay shipping charges, and insure the shipment or accept the risk if the product is lost or damaged in shipment. We will return the repaired or replacement products to you. We will pay to ship the repaired or replaced products to you if you use an address in the United States (excluding Puerto Rico and U.S. possessions and territories). Otherwise, we will ship the product to you freight collect."

Mary's right.  I misread it that you had a new drive shipping to you.  You do have to ship the computer back first.

287 Posts

March 8th, 2005 20:00

I received a new 4700 2 weeks ago. Power supply shorted out
After calling Dell they send a new replacement next day air, with return label in box.
You then have 10 days to return original unit or they will charge your credit card again.
This is their normal procedure if you within your 21 day return period.
No Events found!