Run-time error R6009. Need help desperately please

Help required please.

Dimension XPS T700r running Windows 98 SE

On shutdown get following error message;

run_time error R6009
-not enough space for environment
Press any key

Doesn't appear to be causing any trouble but I
don't know what may be happening that I am not aware of.

Have run Dell Diagnostics - everything passed.

Tried regscan /restore in MS-DOS but dates of .cab files are too recent. I power down at night.

Have done diskscans and defrags etc.

Am at a loss on what I should do.

Can anyone help please? I'd be very grateful.

9 Posts

February 20th, 2004 16:00

Thanks Flooby. I have already checked those. I am virus-free and the Dell diagnostics passed the memory tests. Going to check out your link.
Thanks.

3K Posts

February 20th, 2004 16:00

See if the following link helps: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000380.htm

I'd suggest ruling out the virus and memory issues first, via a scan with current definitions, and by running the Dell Diagnostics tests on the memory.  Details are in your system documentation.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 20th, 2004 17:00

ohdear.

You could try posting this in the following Software - Windows 98/95/3.11/DOS board.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=sw_win98

Bev.

9 Posts

February 20th, 2004 17:00

Still no luck.

Maybe I've come to the wrong place. Any ideas anyone?

I rang tech help last night and the call was transferred to India. What with the language problem and the delay on the line it was hopeless. The lady said she would ring me today to try and help again but she let me down.

Is there a forum where Dell Techies give the sort of help I need?

Thanks if anyone replies.

1.9K Posts

February 20th, 2004 19:00

Are there any discs in either of the optical drives when this happens at shutdown?

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

February 21st, 2004 01:00

The "R6009: Not Enough Space For Environment" run-time error is caused when a program successfully loads into memory and then attempts to
load a copy of the environment and the argument list into the near heap. If the near heap does not have enough room for one, the other, or both, R6009 is generated.

In english, there are some conflicting entries in either your autoexec.bat or Config.sys files.

Click Start, Run, MSCONFIG, OK,  For troubleshooting purposes, you can disable both autoexec.bat & config.sys on the general tab (uncheck them both) then click OK, yes to restart.  Boot back up then shutdown.  If hte error goes away, then you've confirned it is a setting in those files.  Go back MSCONFIG, Click the Config.sys tab.  Check half the items listed, OK, Yes to reboot.  Try shutting down again.  If the error occurs, you localized the error to the items you just checked, uncheck half of them & continue in this manner until you isolate the problem setting.  If you enable all settings in Config.sys & the error no longer occurs, thten try the same procedure with Autoexec.tab.

Warning, some values in these folders are required for your antivirus.  Make sure that when you finish troubleshooting that you antivirus is functional.

9 Posts

February 21st, 2004 09:00

Thanks for your replies so far. It is most appreciated.

How could my MSCONFIG change? I have only downloaded critical updates and virus definitions. Could they be responsible?

Is there anywhere that I can find out what my MSCONFIG files should look like? In my config.sys I have a couple of tick boxes that are checked but there is no entry against them. Got quite a few REM lines there too.

Many thanks for any assistance.

9 Posts

February 21st, 2004 13:00

As a supplementary question to the preceding, does anyone know where I can get information about what should and should not be present in the config.sys and autoexec.bat files. I have found out how to edit them but I now need to know exactly what I should have in them.

Many thanks.

2.8K Posts

March 12th, 2004 13:00

ohdear,
Don't know if you've resolved your issue yet but a Google search for either autoexec.bat or config.sys will reveal the information you're looking for. Three pages I'd recommend starting with are here, here and here.
No Events found!