Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2007 17:00

Selecting a video card for dual monitor setup with 2 LCDs

Hello,

I am looking to buy a new Dell Dimension PC and an E228WFP 22" LCD to create a dual monitor setup with my existing 1901FP 19" LCD.  Both monitors have VGA & DVI-D inputs and they have nearly identical vertical display sizes and pixel sizes so my hope and intent is that they will look nice side-by-side. 

I haven't decided on a specific PC model yet, but they all offer similar video cards:
- 256MB NVIDIA GeForceTM  7300 LE Turbo Cache
- 256MB ATI RadeonTM  X1300 Pro
- 256MB ATI RadeonTM  X1300 Pro - Half Height (This is available only on the C521 small form factor AMD PC)

This states that all of these cards are "Dual-display Capable", however for the 7300LE and the full sized X1300 Pro there is a comment "If you plan to connect two VGA monitors, you need to purchase the DVI-VGA Adapter located in the Dual Monitor Support section".  This comment is not made for the half-height X1300 Pro card.

I assume the default dual-monitor setup with these monitors and either of the above video cards would be to connect one monitor into the DVI-D port and one monitor into the VGA port of the video card.

Here are my questions:
1 - Does this setup work? (The above "If you plan..." comment left me unsure if the only way to run dual-mon was to run both monitors in VGA, or if one monitor could be powered via VGA and one could be powered via DVI).
2 - If so, does this setup look good?  I've heard DVI provides better image quality than VGA, and I wouldn't want my two monitors to have different appearances.
3 - Particularly, should I expect this to look good considering these models have different contrast and luminance specs?  The 1901FP has 250 luminance and 600 contrast, while the E228WFP has 300 and 800.  I don't have experience to know if this will really matter.
4 - Has anyone used the half-height X1300 Pro with the Dimension C521 in a dual monitor setup?  I heard the half-height card has a special adaptor to allow dual-mon, but I can't find any details on this.

Thanks so much in advance!
- Dixon Miller

Message Edited by dixonmiller on 03-01-2007 01:29 PM

Message Edited by dixonmiller on 03-01-2007 04:41 PM

14 Posts

March 1st, 2007 20:00

I had an online chat with XPS pre-sales since about the XPS 210s video card and support for dual-monitor.  Note since the Dimension C521 uses the same half-height card, I'm sure the answers are the same.  I thought this would be informative for folks.  I edited it down for brevity.

<--- start of chat --->

Me: I am considering buying the XPS 210. Does this support dual-monitors? The following link says that it does, however, I know the XPS 210 uses half-height cards, so I'm curious as to what the exact connections are on the X1300 Pro half-height card.
http://www.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~id=gfx_cards_trans&~line=desktops&~lt=popup&~mode=popup&~model=xps210&~series=dimen&~tab=details

Dell: On the 210, you have to get a dual monitor adapter. The ATI card has 1 DVI output

Me: How does the adaptor work? Is it a splitter? If so, are both connections still DVI? I have 2 LCDs that I would want to use this with.

Dell: The adapter works like a splitter.....it would give you two VGA outputs....so you would have to connect your LCDs via VGA

Me: What resolutions can the card + adapter support? I have a 1901FP (1280x1024) and I am also getting an E228WFP (1680x1050). Would it support these?

Dell: Max resolution on the ATI card it 1920x1440 .....so it would support both of those cards

Me: I'm not sure how cards do the translation to multiple monitors, but if my 1901FP has 1280 pixels across and the E228WFP has 1680 pixels across, that's a total of 2960. Can the x1300 Pro support extended dual-monitor (not cloned) across the combined 2960 horizontal pixels that my two screens would have?

Dell: Yes, it will work. (Running dual monitors doesn't translate to 2960 horizontal pixels)

Me:  How much of a difference in quality is VGA vs. DVI? Does it matter more for certain tasks than others like gaming, watching DVDs, photo & video editing, etc? Very subjective question, but please give your best answer.

Dell: Sure, on the two monitors that you have, its not going to make a big difference. When you switch from DVI to VGA, you lose the ultrasharp technology if your monitor has that. I'm not so sure on the 1901fp, but the E228wfp doesn't have Ultrasharp Technology anyways. So, there will be a difference, but I don't think that its going to be that big. The difference is going to show up when watching movies or playing games.

Me: Will there also be a difference when recording & watching TV? I was planning to get a TV tuner card with this new PC.

Dell: Yes, the overall quality is not going to be as good with any applications....this includes watching TV.

Me: Thanks. I'll have to think about that then. I love the small XPS 210 form factor, but I might have to go with a full size PC like the XPS 410 that has a dual-DVI card.

<--- end of chat --->

Hope this helps some people.

Message Edited by dixonmiller on 03-01-2007 04:47 PM

12.1K Posts

March 1st, 2007 21:00

http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,367-page,1-bid,4/video.html    click on this link, than click on the demo to see how two monitors can be set up.  Just another help link for ya

14 Posts

Thanks for the link.

If you're using DVI to connect one LCD and using VGA to connect another, will the image qualities be close enough to not be noticable or distracting?  That's my concern.

Sure I could use a DVI-VGA connector to run VGA to both monitors, but then I'm dropping to the lowest common denominator.

12.1K Posts

I honestly do not know.  Only one way to find out.  Hopefully someone may come along and clue us both in as to whether both would be very close. 

March 20th, 2007 19:00

Hi,

I've just asked a question in the XPS Desktop - Video forum on this topic; that is, using two monitors with an XPS 210 with the Radeon card. Did you ever get to the bottom of it? In particular did you find out about this magic splitter cable?

TIA,

Chris

14 Posts

March 20th, 2007 20:00

Don't recall ever getting a specific answer about the XPS 210s card, but I found some other options.

I ended up also looking at Optiplex 745 small form factor PCs from the Dell Small Business site.  They are even smaller than the XPS 210.  The 745 small factor has an option for a 256 MB ATI x1300 Pro half-height card that can do dual-DVI or dual-VGA because it includes a DMS-59 connector and comes with the appropriate cables.

DMS-59 is a special connector that has more pins and can output 2 DVI signals.
Here's a quick primer on DMS-59 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMS-59
Here's an example of a DMS-59 to 2 DVI splitter cable - http://www.pccables.com/01735.htm

I do not know if the XPS 210's 256MB ATI x1300 Pro card is the same as the 745's card.
The XPS 210 card is named "256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro " while  t he 745 card is named "256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO, Dual Monitor DVI or VGA (TV-out), LP " so they may be different.  You'd have to ask Dell.

I searched on Dell's accessories site and found the following half-height, dual DVI card. 

Note this is a Radeon x1300 256 MB card, uses the DMS-59 connector and is listed as compatible with the Optiplex 745.  I bet this is the same card that comes with the 745.  It lists on Dell for $134.  It is made by VisionTek and I contacted their tech support.  According to them, this card should work with a PC such as the XPS 210.

Just a couple more options for you.

Good luck.

March 23rd, 2007 11:00

The DMS 210 that has just arrived at the door definitely has a DMS-59 connector on its X1300 card with two splitter cables - one for two VGA monitors, one for two DVI. So I'm a happy bunny. The setup sheet clearly shows a DVI connector on the card though. Not a problem for me, but the terminally stupid might get confused. Cheers, Chris
No Events found!