Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 3rd, 2010 14:00

Series of 4 beeps continuously at start up

As soon as I turn my Dell Inspirion 530s with Windows Vista Home on, it continuously has a series of 4 beeps.  The CD Rom does sound like it is running, but nothing comes up on the monitor.  I tried to look up what to do on the troubleshooting area of the Dell website, but it didn't follow any of the beep codes listed.  It also talked about switches, but I don't know how to figure out what kind of switch I have.  The green light on the back is continously lit, and I couldn't find the A, B, C, and D lights on the back.  Any help that could be given would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.   

1 Message

January 18th, 2012 19:00

I had the same problem, and was able to fix it with the following steps:

1. Unplug everything
  2. unscrew and remove side panel
  3. pop-out each memory card, blow on them and pop them back in (be sure the tabs lock back down)

Somehow one of the memory cards must have jiggled lose, even though they looked fine at first.  My system started right up immediately afterwards.

All the best,

David

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 3rd, 2010 14:00

eakire

The Inspiron series does not have the four diagnostics lights.

Are there any error messages, if there are, please post the exact text of them.

What is the reading of the power button LED, Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber?

You can check the 'Beep' codes in the following link.

Four 'Beeps' indicate a memory issue, try opening the case, remove and reinstall all the modules and see if this makes a difference

The Inspiron 530s Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Guide, is HERE 

Bev.

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2010 15:00

The monitor doesn't turn on at all so I cannot see if there are any error messages.  The power button is steady blue.  I will try what you suggested.  Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 3rd, 2010 17:00

eakire

Are you using a PCIe video card, or the onboard integrated graphics?

Bev.

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2010 20:00

No.

881 Posts

October 3rd, 2010 21:00

Well - If you aren't using either a video card or the onboard graphics no video signal can ever get to the monitor. I'm guessing you have the monitor plugged into the computer somehow, someway. Don't you? If it is not either option Bev mentioned where on earth is it plugged into?

Jeff :emotion-22:

4 Posts

October 4th, 2010 05:00

I guess I didn't realize it was an either/ or question.  I'm not sure, but I think I have the onboard graphics.  I guess I'm not sure how to tell either.  I know that I'm definitely far from a computer whiz, but I guess I thought that was why you were supposed to post questions on here.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 20th, 2012 09:00

Code

Cause

1-1-2

Microprocessor register failure

1-1-3

NVRAM read/write failure

1-1-4

ROM BIOS checksum failure

1-2-1

Programmable interval timer failure

1-2-2

DMA initialization failure

1-2-3

DMA page register read/write failure

1-3

Video Memory test failure

1-3-1 through 2-4-4

Memory not being properly identified or used

3-1-1

Slave DMA register failure

3-1-2

Master DMA register failure

3-1-3

Master interrupt mask register failure

3-1-4

Slave interrupt mask register failure

3-2-2

Interrupt vector loading failure

3-2-4

Keyboard Controller test failure

3-3-1

NVRAM power loss

3-3-2

Invalid NVRAM configuration

3-3-4

Video Memory test failure

3-4-1

Screen initialization failure

3-4-2

Screen retrace failure

3-4-3

Search for video ROM failure

4-2-1

No timer tick

4-2-2

Shutdown failure

4-2-3

Gate A20 failure

4-2-4

Unexpected interrupt in protected mode

4-3-1

Memory failure above address 0FFFFh

4-3-3

Timer-chip counter 2 failure

4-3-4

Time-of-day clock stopped

4-4-1

Serial or parallel port test failure

4-4-2

Failure to decompress code to shadowed memory

4-4-3

Math-coprocessor test failure

4-4-4

1 Message

October 5th, 2012 15:00

Thank you so much for posting this solution. I consult out to a friend for computer help and when he gave me this problem it had me stumped. I popped out the RAM, blew on each one, and popped them back in, and the system is loading up as I type this.

Thanks again.

Dominic

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 24th, 2013 14:00

Hello i am having problems with my dell inspiron duo 1090 havent had it long recently bought it of ebay and today i was on it and went out for a few hours when i went to go on it it wouldnt turn on and beeps 4 times ir ead in the booklet its a ram failure thing ive tried to power it off by the button it does not work how do i resolve it im worried ive only had it for 4 weeks and this has happened already

daniellemote

The best forum to post this in, is the Laptop forum, here:

This forum is for Desktop systems

If you have a Dell warranty on the netbook, have you tried contacting Dell's Technical Support about the issues.

Bev.

1 Message

March 24th, 2013 14:00

Hello i am having problems with my dell inspiron duo 1090 havent had it long recently bought it of ebay and today i was on it and went out for a few hours when i went to go on it it wouldnt turn on and beeps 4 times ir ead in the booklet its a ram failure thing ive tried to power it off by the button it does not work how do i resolve it im worried ive only had it for 4 weeks and this has happened already

1 Message

September 1st, 2013 20:00

THIS IS THE ANSWER TO THE PROBLEM!  (atleast it's very likely that it is). I HAD THE SAME ISSUE AND IT IS NOW REOLVED IWTHIN 10 MINUTES!

I flipped the computer upside down after everythign is unplugged and off.
Then I unscrewed the back screw and popped off the plastic piece
There were 2 chips, the larger was the hard drive and the smaller I dont know what it was, perhaps the memory - im not sure.
The smaller one looked like it may be slightly popped out and not flush, so i took it out and blew on it, and put it back in

Then I put the back plastic panel back on and it started up great - no issues at all!

(any unsaved projects up before the computer had the beeping problem won't be recovered - most likely)

I hope that this helps!!!!

1 Message

September 7th, 2013 11:00

mine was doing the same thing.  i went on and googled it.  after turning it off, unplugging it and taking the battery out, i held the power button down for thirty seconds, plugged it back in and tried again...still not working with the same four beeps.  then i unplugged it, took the battery off and checked the memory sticks.  the bottom one was not connected right.  i took both of them out, put them back in and put everything back together and yeah! it worked.  sometimes if the laptop gets jostled around things loosen up or come undone.  before you pay someone check out these things.  i found online that four beeps means something to do with the memory and went from there. good luck i hope this helps.

1 Message

November 12th, 2014 11:00

This was indeed the problem as I replaced one rather suspect 2GB chip with a 4GB chip more closely matching its neighbor and all was well...  Thanks for saving me the beep code lookup.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 12th, 2014 13:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

No Events found!