Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2013 12:00

Slow CPU

I have an essentialy stock DELL inspiron 531s that has slowed don to a crawl. The only modification is a recovery hardrive that adds 10 GB. The total memory is 74.4 GB and of this 15.2 GB is free on the main drive and 2.62 on the backup. i have no clue how to speed it up. Any help from inteligent life would be helpful. I've been thinking about upgrading in general. As my username suggests I'm completely clueless about how to upgrade and things like that. I am completely capable of operating it though. 

3.7K Posts

February 24th, 2013 12:00

I have an essentialy stock DELL inspiron 531s that has slowed don to a crawl. The only modification is a recovery hardrive that adds 10 GB. The total memory is 74.4 GB and of this 15.2 GB is free on the main drive and 2.62 on the backup. i have no clue how to speed it up. Any help from inteligent life would be helpful. I've been thinking about upgrading in general. As my username suggests I'm completely clueless about how to upgrade and things like that. I am completely capable of operating it though. 

Those older Inspirons there is not a lot of upgrading that can be done with your CPU, dug this out of your manual,

Processor type AMD™ Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processor
AMD Athlon 64 processor
AMD Sempron™ processor

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 24th, 2013 13:00

the_clueless_cpu_owner

The following Inspiron 531s processor upgrade discussions may help:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19266139/19456147.aspx#19456147

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19363751.aspx

Note: Check that the BIOS have the latest version 1.0.13, when support for newer processors was added, before installing a new processor.

How much Memory [RAM] does your 531s has installed?

What is the installed hard drive's size and how much free space does it have?

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 24th, 2013 14:00

Install an SSD, install Windows on it, set it as your boot drive, and you will experience a huge "night and day" leap in performance, much more than a CPU upgrade would bring.

No Events found!