Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2013 13:00

Soooo Confused!!

My sister has a dell Inspiron 530 running Vista Home Premium 32 that suddenly started randomly freezing at the Dell Splash screen.

I took it to my home to check it out and it works perfectly. Ran Dell diagnostics and hd test timed out the first time and then passed the test the second time I ran it. couldn't test network as I do not have her ethernet connection here so I use wireless adaptor

Put in a new HD just in case it was failing and returned it. As soon as she got it back it again began randomly freezing at the Dell Splash screen.

Seems that it will start if USB printer is disconnected and ethernet cable unplugged until after starting but sometimes starts with both attached.

Took it back to my house and all works fine.

Differences: my house I use wireless adapter not Ethernet

different monitor, keyboard and mouse

no printer attached

Any ideas?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

The USB printer is the issue.

Try using a powered USB 2.0 Hub inbetween the Printer and the Computer.

DISABLE Booting from USB devices some printers have USB to MEMORY Readers that will hang.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

The USB printer is the issue.

Try using a powered USB 2.0 Hub inbetween the Printer and the Computer.

DISABLE Booting from USB devices some printers have USB to MEMORY Readers that will hang.

And/or make sure the hard drive is first in the boot sequence and also set Removable Device Priority appropriately in BIOS setup.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 29th, 2013 15:00

Things get changed, BIOS settings get scrambled, especially if the motherboard battery is weak...

5 Posts

July 29th, 2013 15:00

But, the printer is not new. It has worked for a couple of years

5 Posts

August 1st, 2013 06:00

Thanks, I will try your suggestions.

No Events found!