Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2017 11:00

Strange conflicts USB/IDE/Memory Precision T3500

This ~2010 W/S (Quad Core) was recently updated to Win 10. Everything was working good and then I installed a 3.5" floppy (this unit has a IDE floppy connector) and configured the floppy in Set Up. Upon reboot I get this: "Alert! Memory failure detected in DIMM 2. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to - - - -." I don't think there's a memory problem. Diagnostics shows everything 100% OK. Once I got the floppy to work, but none of my USB ports worked. So then I took out the floppy (USB ports OK,) and now I can't get the "Alert!" boot error message to go away. I'm resigned to forget the floppy (unless someone has the exact answer to get it to work) but need to clear up whatever is causing that error message to keep showing. Thanks for any help.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 28th, 2017 04:00

There are no IDE connections on the 3500 motherboard.

The front panel connector is NOT an IDE connection.

Raw motherboards not installed in DELL cases with Dell power supplies are not supported. The connection below is neither IDE nor floppy.  The white connector 34 pin is floppy but also NOT IDE.

Floppy cables must have a twist in them.  They are keyed and must not be backwards.

Dell Precision T3500 Service Manual 

precision-t3500_service manual_en-us.pdf

Dell Precision WorkStation T3500 I/O Panel Assembly with USB Audio I/O Control Panel, 29" Internal Audio Cable D/PN X389H, Front Panel Cable D/PN JN454, and Mounting Bracket, Dell M884G, MC532.

http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-8929/Dell-M884G-Precision-T3500/Detail

2 Posts

December 28th, 2017 06:00

Thanks SpeedStep. This workstation is 100% original Dell. The service manual (3/2009 Rev A00) has a motherboard map on page 17 with item #22 pointing to "FDD Connector." And the Set Up manual (also 2009) shows on the cover sheet an image of the front of the unit showing a floppy drive with a note "optional floppy drive."  And the F2 Set Up has a screen to "ENABLE INTERNAL FLOPPY DRIVE."

None of this has anything to do with the front bezel connectors/cable.

When floppy was installed, proper cable, proper connection, proper power and proper Set Up, the workstation reported the boot up "Alert" error noted above.  I cycled through boot up a few times and got the floppy to work. But all my USB ports stopped working. And of course I get that "Alert" error message. F5 diagnostics show everything at 100% OK. I'm guessing the floppy is no longer supported under Win 10 Pro.

The twist in a floppy cable selects DRIVE A: With no twist, DRIVE B. The original IBM PC only had 2 floppys; A and B.

I've decided to NOT install the floppy but I would like to get rid of that annoying boot-up error message. Can internal error codes be cleared? Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 28th, 2017 07:00

There are NO IDE connections inside the T3500, none, never have been. There is no clearing of errors when physical hardware issues exist.  "Memory failure detected in DIMM 2." is not related in any way to floppy. "But all my USB ports stopped working"  this too is not related to floppy drive.  

T3500's have places F2 in bios about LEGACY and BOOT.

They can even DISABLE the USB Ports.

Onboard Devices

System Setup

USB Controller
(On default)
Enables or disables the internal USB controller.

Off — The USB controller is disabled.
On — The USB controller is enabled.

No Boot — The USB controller is enabled; however, the BIOS
will not recognize USB storage devices.

Rear Quad USB
(On default)
Enables or disables the rear quad USB ports.

Off — The USB group is disabled.

On — The USB group is enabled.
Rear Dual USB
(On default)
Enables or disables the rear dual USB ports.

Off — The USB group is disabled.
On — The USB group is enabled.

No Events found!