Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2017 08:00

Suddenly fading, clock, twirlers very slow

When I first got this XPS 8700 3 years ago I had an issue after using the USB 2,0 ports on top. First reboot after using them was SLOOOOOOW!  But second boot was back to normal. Didn't have time to investigate and didn't use top USB ports so issue was never resolved. Yesterday I was using the USB on the front which had never been an issue and, after reboot, slow again. But this time multiple reboots has not solve the issue.

Issue seems to involve interrupts. Booting is extremely fast to the logon screen except painfully slow fading and no twirlie. After logon rest of boot is very slow. Any animation is painfully slow. Programs seem to run full speed. CPU is 95% idle during issue. Clock second hand takes 10 seconds per second and clock shows 6 minutes in past hour. Dell quick diagnostics show no issue except it took a very long time to run. Device manager shows everything running normally. Computer is totally stock.

McAfee says no problems. DSLReports says my internet connection is 10 times faster than normal. Win 8.1. Windows sounds are just interrupted noises but finish in normal time. Wireless keyboard and mouse and external USB hub on back working normally. Mouse pointer trail takes a long time to remove every arrow.

I'm thinking a hardware issue but where to start.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2017 13:00

Reboot and IMMEDIATELY press F12. Look for the option to run the Diagnostics, including RAM and extended hard drive tests. Copy error messages, if any.

Have you checked to be sure that Windows is seeing the full amount of RAM that's installed?

Do you have the latest versions of BIOS and drivers (eg chipsets, video, NIC, etc) for your specific hardware ?

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 3rd, 2017 09:00

Mcafee and malware infection due to not keeping signatures up to date is the issue. This is not a dell problem.

8 Posts

September 3rd, 2017 10:00

If it were virus/malware I would think other computers inside my LAN would have also experienced an issue. No sign of a problem anywhere except on this one computer that had the same well defined issue 3 years ago. Not saying it can't be but, if so, it is a very well behaved infection to have not transferred to any other computer.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 3rd, 2017 13:00

This is easily disproved by wipe and reload WITHOUT MCAFEE.  Have clients all the time claim there is no malware.  We send tech out with new blank drive and have them install clean os and viola no more problem.  The user then says they could have done that and refuses to pay for the several hours of diagnostics and testing.  We void the service contract at that point and inform the user we are NEVER coming out again.

8 Posts

September 3rd, 2017 17:00

Bounced around a bit preparing to disconnect everything and open to check inside connections. Disconnected speaker system. Changed mind and ran F12 diagnostics. No problems found. Rebooted and issue is gone. Out of time tonight so I will give a yes to question answered tomorrow if it continues to reboot with no issue.  THANKS Ron!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2017 18:00

Glad to help...

If you reconnect the speaker system, does the problem recur?   If it doesn't recur, then check to be sure all PCI-e cards, RAM modules and cable connections inside the case are all fully seated.

8 Posts

September 4th, 2017 08:00

Issue resolved. Reconnected speaker and booted several times and everything seems back to normal. Clearly it is a loose connection somewhere inside but I will not be fixing it today or any time in the near future unless it occurs again. I learned a long time ago not to try to fix something that isn't broken. It took 3 years for it to happen again and maybe 3 years from now I'll have to open it up and fix it right. Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 4th, 2017 11:00

I learned a long time ago not to try to fix something that isn't broken.

I think you mean: "If it ain't broken, don't break it!"   :emotion-4:

No Events found!