Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 2nd, 2009 15:00

Swapping Core i7 Processors in Studio XPS 435

I just ordered a Studio XPS 435 with the Core i7-920 processor  (couldn't stomach the upgrade prices for the faster versions of the i7...lol).  Once prices come down (way down) on the higher end Core i7 processors, I'd like to buy an i7-975 to replace my i7-920.  I'm assuming that since the 975 is an upgrade option for the Studio XPS 435 that the system would support it.  Is it as simple as just buying an i7-975 and swapping out the i7-920?  I'm assuming it would be, but Dells aren't exactly the most upgrade-friendly systems once they leave the factory.  I've built my own computers before, so that part is not an issue.  I just didn't know if there was some kind of catch involved that would prevent me from doing it on this particular system (like the processor being permanently attached to the mobo or something idiotic like that :D).

Also, I'm assuming this would void the warranty?  It may not even be an issue, depending on how long I wait to upgrade, but was just curious.  Perhaps by some miracle Dell will release a BIOS update so I can just overclock the processor and save my upgrade money for my next full computer ;)  Afterall, this processor is reported to run perfectly stable at 3.0GHz and above when overclocked, but the Dell BIOS prevents it :\

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Tomeeboy   

You are right, upgrading the processor would void the warranty, see HERE

Yes, it's as simple as switching the i7 processor, see HERE

As you will be reusing the heatsink, plan on cleaning it's base and reapplying thermal compound to the processor.

Directions for cleaning and applying thermal compound, are HERE.

You only need a small tube of thermal compound, this can be purchased from any computer store.

Bev.

7 Posts

Thanks for the info Bev... it's nice to know I can upgrade that down the road.  I was feeling some buyer's remorse for getting the slowest of the i7s, but those upgrade prices are just ridiculous since the i7s are the top of the line right now.

I guess I can go back to regretting not having a second PCI-E x16 slot for dual video cards... lol.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 2nd, 2009 16:00

Tomeeboy

You are welcome.    :emotion-11:

Know those feelings very well,  I will be buying a new PC in October, after Windows 7 is released, the big question is, to build my own system, based on the AMD Phenom 965 processor, or buy a i7 replacement from Dell.     :emotion-42:

Bev.

No Events found!