Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

RB

May 22nd, 2012 03:00

Symbols on Sound Jacks

The sound card in my Dell PC has 6 jacks with the following symbols:

May 22nd, 2012 03:00

Although I included an image of these jacks, it doesn't appear in the message. The "include image" feature of this forum seems to be broken. The images are at http://www.sylvester-bradley.org/images/SoundJacks500.png

Rowan

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2012 04:00

What is the Model of the PC?   There has been some differences over the years.  

Generally, Green is the speaker out, Pink is Mic input, Blue is Line In.

Gray, Side L/R speakers, Black rear L/R Speakers, Yellow Center/Sub Woofer

May 22nd, 2012 05:00

It's a Dimension 9200.

Thanks for your explanation.

It's the symbols that I was particularly hoping someone could explain.

Is there any difference between "speaker out" and "line out" and "headphone"?

Are all the jacks "stereo" (by which I mean they have two channels)?

i.e. is the mic stereo? And does the yellow one have two channels, one for "centre" and the other for "subwoofer"? If so, which is which?

Thanks - Rowan

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2012 06:00

HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> is the Dell manual that explains what each jack is.

Speaker Out and Line Out are the same on some systems, on others there are separate outputs.  The Headphone out is basically the same as the Speaker Out.  They are all Stereo.  Same way with the Line In, it is Stereo.  The Mic input is Mono, even though it uses the same stereo 3.5mm plug (the tip is the audio and the ring is for 5VDC that is required by computer mics).

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 22nd, 2012 07:00

Speaker out will Drive Headphones (Speaker and Headphones are usually one and the same) probably 5 volts,  line out would be max around .5 to .7 volts.

Some sound cards adjust the voltage based on what is detected plugged into the Green Jack.  Mic in is usually .05 volts.

Back Panel Connectors 

surround sound connector

Use the (black) surround sound connector to attach multichannel-capable speakers.

On computers with a sound card, use the connector on the card.

line-in connector

Use the (blue) line-in connector to attach a record/playback device such as a cassette player, CD player, or VCR.

line-out/headphone connector

Use the (green) line-out connector to attach headphones and most speakers with integrated amplifiers.

microphone connector

Use the (pink) microphone connector to attach a personal computer microphone for voice or musical input into a sound or telephony program.

center/subwoofer LFE connector

Use the (orange) center/subwoofer connector to attach a center speaker or a single subwoofer.

NOTE: The LFE (Low Frequency Effects) Audio channel, found in digital surround sound audio schemes, carries only low frequency information of 80 Hz and below. The LFE channel drives a subwoofer to provide extremely low bass extension. Systems not using subwoofers can shunt the LFE information to the main speakers in the surround sound setup.

side surround sound connector

Use the (gray) side surround sound connector to attach multichannel-capable speakers. The side-surround output provides enhanced surround audio for computers with 7.1 speakers.

S/PDIF connector

Use the S/PDIF connector to transmit digital audio without going through an analog audio conversion process. (Digital Audio Output)

May 22nd, 2012 10:00

Thanks for all this useful info. I now know where to plug in, so main problem is answered.

I'd still like to understand the little symbols, which baffle me.

fireberd said "they're all stereo" but how can "center/subwoofer" be stereo? Doesn't "a center speaker or a single subwoofer" imply just one signal?

And we've established that the mic is mono. Out of interest does this mean no PC can record in stereo from a live recording? Seems odd...

And the green connector is described in the Dell documentation as "line out/headphones" but line out was described by SpeedStep as 0.5-0.7V and headphones as 5V. The green connector can't be both. Is it 0.5-0.7V, or 5V?

Thanks - Rowan

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 22nd, 2012 10:00

The Symbols must be ISO / IEC and JTC 1 because they are designed to be like hieroglyphs.

A TRS connector (tip, ring, sleeve) is a common family of connector typically used for analog
signals including audio. It is cylindrical in shape, typically with three contacts, although
sometimes with two (a TS connector) or four (a TRRS connector).

• Pink = Microphone In (mono) .05V input
  • Blue = Line-In (stereo) .Line out −10 dBV     0.316 -  0.447 V input
  • Green = Line-Out / Front Speakers / Headphones  .5V To 5V output.  (Since headphones look like a short circuit cards adjust the output voltage)
  • Orange = Center Speaker and Subwoofer .Line out −10 dBV     0.316 -  0.447 V
  • Black = Rear Surround Speakers (5.1, 7.1 systems)  Line out −10 dBV     0.316 -  0.447 V
  • Grey = Mid Surround Speakers (7.1 systems).Line out −10 dBV     0.316 -  0.447 V

Line out

Line out symbol.svg    Line waves03-0-out.png    Line waves03-1-out.png    Line circle out.png    Line-out symbol

Line in

Line in symbol.svg    Line waves03-2-in.png    Line waves03-3-in.png    Line circle in.png    Line-in symbol.

The database on Graphical Symbols for Use on Equipment contains the complete set of graphical symbols included in IEC 60417 and ISO 7000. It therefore offers end-users a "one-stop" shop for all such graphical symbols. These International Standards are maintained respectively by IEC/TC 3, subcommittee SC 3C and ISO/TC 145, subcommittee SC 3.

Each graphical symbol is identified by a reference number and contains a title (in English and French), a graphical representation in GIF and vectorized PDF format, and some additional data as applicable. Various search and navigation facilities allow for easy retrieval of graphical symbols.

This information is not free and cannot be downloaded from the IEC for free.

1 Message

October 14th, 2017 04:00

I am looking for the exact cable pictured above.  Black cable with the green connectors.  Male to male of course.   They used to come with the desktop pc's.

But I have spent hours searching for one to buy with no success.  Is this a Dell Cable? Can anyone help me please?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 17th, 2017 09:00

This is a very common cable.  Dell had this on some harmen karden speaker sets.

https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Green-Cable/dp/B00J4WV46E/

No Events found!