Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2009 14:00

System Recovry for Vostro Desktop 200

I need the guide to recover my Vostro Desktop 200 asap.

I tried restarting and press ctrl + f11 but it didn't work/

14.4K Posts

April 23rd, 2009 14:00

what is your OS?

how old is your computer?

Here is the link <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> from your system manual

What indications are you getting when you attempt  to do the restore

If you have altered the harddrive in any shap or form then the Factory restore will not work.

22 Posts

April 23rd, 2009 15:00

I have window xp PC 2002
Sever Pack 2

22 Posts

April 23rd, 2009 16:00

I just cant get it to work.. Isn't there a cd to do this?
I have all the cd that came with it.
Maybe operating system CD? 

14.4K Posts

April 23rd, 2009 17:00

The disks that you have are for doing a "Clean reinstall" The difference between this and the Factory restore are:

The factroy restore usually only takes about 15-20 mins to do and when it is done the compter is at the same state as it was the very first time you fired it up.

The Clean install can take up to 2 hrs and you will need to reload your drivers and such after the install.

If you are unable to get the factory restore to work and you are in need to reloading the OS then you only have the choice of using the Disks.

Doing a reinstall is a fairly drastic step as you will lose all your data and programs that you have installed since you go the computer. There are a couple of other options that you might want to consider before going this route.

Perhaps if you highligt the reason or issues you are having that is leading you to do a reinstall we might be able to help save  you some time and effort.

14.4K Posts

April 24th, 2009 17:00

See HERE

22 Posts

How do I reinstall?

22 Posts

Im so afraid right now because both my vostro 200 and dell XPS M1330 is broken.

Vostro200 is about to break but not yet. I did reinstall XP yesterday using the operating system cd.

1 Message

May 26th, 2009 12:00

I am having a similar problem.

My computer was infected with a virus that wont even allow me to use the reinstallation CD, and I tried using the CTRL F11 process but nothing works..

My computer is a VOSTRO 200

Microsoft XP and its only 2 years old.

14 Posts

October 30th, 2010 09:00

I want to do a Factory Restore on my Vostro Desktop 200.

The Ctrl F11 doesn't appear to work, it basically ignores it and boots into Windows XP like normal.

The manual talks about a program that is supposed to be in c:\Dell\Utilities however I only have 1 directory and it's a Driver Reset Tool.

The Desktop was purchased 2/26/2008 and is running XP Home.

I just want to start over with the computer just like it was brand new.

Any ideas how to make this work?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 30th, 2010 13:00

asawyer13

Was the Vostro 200 was shipped with XP factory installed?

Did you use the procedures for Dell's PC-Restore, as detailed HERE

Bev.

14 Posts

October 30th, 2010 14:00

@Bev,

Yes it came from Dell with XP Home installed.

As I said, I can't get the Ctrl F11 to work, so I can't do the PC-Restore.

I don't want to save any data that's on my drive, just want to restore to factory default.

Of course, my support has expired so I don't think anyone at Dell would help without a charge, but I am thinking somehow I should be able to get it working.

Alan

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 30th, 2010 15:00

asawyer13

You may be able to repair the Dell's PC-Restore using the procedures HERE, but if the PC-Restore cannot be repaired, then the best you can do, is to perform a clean reinstall of XP.

Bev.

No Events found!