Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

August 5th, 2017 14:00

System halted after BIOS update

Dell 4700c prompted to update bios. Downloaded 4700CA07.EXE (493.95 KB) installed and restarted computer. No problem. Shut down computer and pushed start button. Error message reads, Alert! Incompatible processor detected. System halted!

Thank you

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

August 5th, 2017 17:00

I doubt that a new bios would be issued for the old computer. Recheck dell downloads for your model. A failed bios update will require a motherboard replacement. That would be a waste of money. Where did you get the bios file?

92 Posts

August 5th, 2017 20:00

Thank you for the reply, Mary

I got the file from the dell 'all purpose' online support site. Previously, I had read on that site that a bios update for the 4700c was no longer available. But it seemed that this had changed as I found the update on the support site:  

92 Posts

August 5th, 2017 20:00

Thank you. I found the file at this location: www.dell.com/.../drivers

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 6th, 2017 18:00

I don't see any BIOS updates listed on any of the pages you linked so not sure what you actually tried to install.

(BTW: You should remove those links ASAP because they reveal your Service Tag, which you should never post in an open forum like this!)

You can try clearing BIOS. Power off, unplug. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open case and remove motherboard battery. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery (might be time for a fresh battery). Close case and see if it boots now.

What version of Windows...?

92 Posts

August 6th, 2017 22:00

www.dell.com/.../driversdetails is the page.

I don't see why dell does not offer any caveat w/ regard to this volatile update and the possible consequences.

Most disgusting is the fact that there seems to be no conclusive answer to this issue. it ain't rocket science yet You get a hundred replies and all are wrong or insufficient.

No Events found!