Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 15th, 2008 22:00

TSST TS H653A driver problem

Suddenly my CD ROM/DVD doesn't do anything.  I checked the driver and it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) "

I tried downloading the R152871.EXE but when I click on the Flash Utility it says "Drive Not Found" and when I try to open the .bin file it says "This firmware is not compatable with the selected drive."

I don't know what any of this means, I just know last week my E drive worked and now it doesn't.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

14.4K Posts

June 15th, 2008 22:00

Drivers for DVD/CD drives are incorporated in the OS, so they are not available for downloading. What you downloaded is a firmware update which you found did not work which is probably a good thing.

Go into Device manger. Click on the CD drive that is giving you issues. It should have a yellow "!" or red "X" next to it. Right click and select uninstall this device.

Then reboot the computer and see if windows rediscovers the device. If not it could mean that the drive has failed. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 15th, 2008 23:00

If Davet50's good suggestion doesn't work, try running a windows system file check:

click start>run

type in: sfc /scannow

(space between sfc and /)

click ok

Insert XP CD if sfc requests it and reboot when it's done.

Ron 

June 16th, 2008 23:00

Davet50, had the yellow ! but upon reboot, it didn't do anything.

I'm sorry, I really haven't provided enough info.

I have a Dell Dimension C521 with Vista.

Is that system file check in Vista?  Can't seem to find it.

The drive opens and closes and the light blinks like it's thinking, and the disc is turned a different direction that when it went in, but it just turns off after 6 or so seconds.

Does that provide any clues?

Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 17th, 2008 00:00

Did you right-click and uninstall the CD drive in Device Manager before you rebooted? 

Here's a link to running sfc in Vista. Not quite as easy as in XP.

Hint: be sure to include the version of Windows in your posts. ;)

Ron

Message Edited by RoHe on 06-16-2008 06:32 PM

June 17th, 2008 02:00

Windows 6.0.6000

Successfully ran the system file checker.  It said there were some corrupt files and it could fix some but not all of them.

Tried uninstalling before and after file checker, rebooting after each, no luck.

Argh.

14.4K Posts

June 17th, 2008 16:00

If you have another system to try this in I would. I am thinking that it is bad. Had a simular issue on my 8300 a couple of yrs back. Ended up being the drive.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 17th, 2008 17:00

But if you still have some corrupt Windows files, you have an issue with the hard drive too. So maybe you need to fix that first before worrying about the CD drive. 

<>I don't use Vista, but you should run whatever Vista uses to check the file system on the hard drive. In XP, it's called chkdsk.  When that's done, there's probably a repair/reinstall feature like in XP, which would be the next thing to try since sfc didn't fix the problem.  You'll get help with Vista's "chkdsk" and  Vista repair/reinstall over on the Vista forum.<>  

Have you scanned for malware lately?

Ron 

June 17th, 2008 23:00

Hmmmm.  Malware?  Not sure if my scanning stuff looks for that.

Can you elaborate?

I read somewhere that downloading certain things can "filter" out a driver's functionality.  It's possible my wife downloaded some something-or-other and it's not compatible.  Is there a way to find that out?

Thanks.

June 18th, 2008 13:00

This worked for me.

Many thanks to Skybird from the Vista forum.

Try this article for Windows Vista ...........

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461

January 29th, 2013 12:00

Just had this problem with the TS-H653A and Vista premium 32 bit on my Dell Dimension E520.

Came out of the blue - this link finally sorted it after several days attempts to reload drivers, uninstall......

Brilliant - thanks Madmiles442 for posting this Skybird fix.

No Events found!