Highlighted

Three monitors on OptiPlex 9010

Jump to solution

I bought an OptiPlex 9010 on the basis of http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/optiplex-9010/pd which says "Configure your workspace the way you want it with support for up to three native monitors via DP/DP/VGA ports."

I have connected three monitors to it, but I can only enable two at a time. It can be both of the ones connected by DisplayPort, or one of the ones connected by DisplayPort and the one connected by VGA. How do I enable all three?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
RoHe
Diamond

Re: Three monitors on OptiPlex 9010

Jump to solution

(Deleted)

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yes, it's definitely an OptiPlex 9010 small form factor. See the link in my original post.

0 Kudos
RoHe
Diamond

Jump to solution

My bad!  I missed seeing the listing for Optiplex 9010. I can't believe Dell gave the same 9010 model number to a desktop series and to an AIO! That's just dumb.

Do you have an add-in video card or are you trying to use onboard graphics for all 3 video outputs? At this moment, it's just a guess, but you might need an add-in PCI-e video card to run 3 monitors, one on the on-board graphics and 2 from the add-in video card.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
RoHe
Diamond

Jump to solution

While I await your response about on-board vs add-in video, I pinged my tech contacts at Dell to see what they have to say.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Just onboard graphics. www.dell.com/.../optiplex_9010_technical_guidebook.pdf says "3rd generation CPUs natively support 3 displays with the integrated CPU graphics."

0 Kudos
RoHe
Diamond

Jump to solution

Do you know for certain you have a "3rd generation CPU", and your monitors meet the requirements listed in footnote 2 on page 29 of that pdf?

What version of Windows are you using?

If the system meets the requirements and is under warranty, you might want to contact tech support.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
RoHe
Diamond

Jump to solution

One more thing...

Run BIOS Setup and see if the Intel Multi-Display setting is enabled or disabled. You might try changing its current setting to the other option and then trying all 3 monitors again. Be sure to save the change in BIOS before exiting setup.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It's an Intel® Core™ i7-3770. I don't see any requirements for the monitors on page 29. They are 2x 1280*1024 and 1x 1920*1200. I'm using Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit. I checked the BIOS but there is no setting called "Multi Display" or anything similar. I have contacted technical support and they have escalated it to their engineers.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Dell have said that this machine does support triple monitor output, but only if the DisplayPort connections are direct, not via DisplayPort to DVI adapters.

0 Kudos