Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2017 18:00

U2417h Monitor will not connect to Vostro 420 PC

I have recently purchased 2 Dell U2417H monitors with the hopes of connecting them to my Dell Vostro 420 PC. I tried connecting it to the HDMI port that was covered by a black cap on my tower but it did not work. Will I need adapters of some sort? Is my video card not up to speed? Any help would be appreciated.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

February 24th, 2017 12:00

If the port was covered it is because you have a separate video card that is used instead of the integrated video. (Both integrated and separate video cannot be used together)What video card do you have? If the card has a DVI port you can add a DVI to HDMI cable for one of the monitors. However your card must support dual monitors with dual dvi or hdmi ports to add a second one. Consider upgrading the video card to one with dual monitor support. I would buy a new computer to replace the old Vostro.

You could remove the video card to switch to the integrated video and use the hdmi port but the quality of the display is not as good and only one monitor can be used.

2 Posts

February 24th, 2017 12:00

The video card is an ATI Radeon HD3450. And I misspoke I tried the DP port which was covered with the black cap. I really am using the dual monitors with my work laptop and docking station but use the Vostro for personal use and would like to be able to use it from time to time. Am not sure how or if it possible to have the Vostro and the docking station connected to the monitors or if I'll have to unplug the monitors from the docking station and into the Vostro when I want to use it. Thank you for your reply.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 28th, 2017 04:00

You have to remove the video card in order to use onboard VGA/DISPLAYPORT/DVI/HDMI.

This is why its capped.

No Events found!