Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 20th, 2016 11:00

U2717D Daisy Chain

I'm replacing two U2414H monitors with two new U2717D monitors. The two U2414H monitors were daisy chained together and worked fine. Now with the two U2717D monitors, I can't get the display to extend across both monitors - I'm only showing the same image on both. The physical wiring of the monitors is virtually the same.

In the Screen resolution screen (Windows 7) clicking "Detect" will show two monitors numbered 1 and 2 ( and two others that say "Another display not detected" ) but when I click "Identify" the big #1 appears on both screens. If I click on the monitor 1 image in the screen resolution window, it shows Dell U2717D as the display. If I click on the monitor 2 image, it shows Display Device on VGA.

They're connected to a Dell XPS 8900 operating Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. There is nothing connected to the video card - one cable is connected from the DP on the computer to the mDP on the monitor, the second cable runs from DP out of that monitor to mDP in on the second monitor. Note that on the second monitor I've disabled DP1.2.

I've also installed the latest drivers for the U2717D monitor. 

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 21st, 2016 15:00

Are you saying that the added discrete video card does not have DP or mDP out ports which is why you are using the lesser Intel HD Graphics 530 onboard DP out? Are you using the DP to mDP cables that shipped with the U2717D? So the daisy chain of the two U2414H worked at 1920x1080 60Hz.

Turn the XPS 8900 and both U2717D off. Disconnect the second U2717D from the first U2717D. Turn the first U2717D on (MST On), then the XPS 8900. Are you able to get 2560x1440 60Hz? If yes, connect the second U2717D (MST Off) to the first U2717D via the DP out port. Turn the second U2717D on. At this point, did Windows change the resolution of the first U2717D?

December 22nd, 2016 05:00

I followed your instructions and the first monitor is at 2560x1440. Connecting the second monitor did not change the resolution of the first one. The second one came on at 2560x1440 as a mirror image of the first. I went a little further and clicked "Detect" in the screen resolution window and the second monitor was not detected even though it was working.

For your questions, the discrete video card, an nVidia GeForce 760 does not have DP or mDP ports. It has VGA, HDMI and DVI. Obviously, I could hook the monitors up differently. I'm not concerned much with performance so the onboard video is sufficient. As far as the cables, the cable from the computer to the monitor is the one I was using previously, the monitor to monitor cable is one that came with one of the new monitors. Yes, the daisy chain of the two U2414H worked fine at the highest resolution.

Thank you for your help.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2016 07:00

I really doubt that the U2717D are defective. Try updating the onboard Intel HD 530 driver directly from Intel.

December 22nd, 2016 08:00

I doubt they are defective too, I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong. I will update the driver and see what happens. I also have two more monitors so I can try that too. It probably won't be until after the holidays though. I'll let you know what I find. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

No Events found!