Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2002 00:00

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME! :(

Each time I reboot, I get a blue screen displaying:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
(Steps are given, neither work)

(Then it gives this message on the same screen.)

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x80E49760, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have no idea what's going on. The computer is un-useable at the moment. This Dimension 4400 is only two months old and it just started two days ago. I can't even start windows in Safe mode. I'm running XP, by the way.

MY last resort is to contact dell with my warranty info, I'd love if somebody could help me. Thank You.

Message Edited on 07/01/02 08:10PM by Jarrok

2 Posts

I've already tried all those, sadly.
I guess I will have to resort to call tech support.
THanks anyway bob.

1.6K Posts

Jarrok: Start by checking out the article here from the MS Knowledge Base. If that doesn't help then do a search on Google here using UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME as your search term. You'll get many returns and hopefully one will help. To be completely honest though I think you'll wind up talking with Dell Tech Support on this one.

Cowboy Wisdom:
"If you can't squat with your spurs on, you ain't a real cowboy."

- Bob -
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is

2.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2002 13:00

Jarrok,

Thank you for using the Dell | Talk forum.

The error is caused by a corrupted NTFS partition in Windows XP.
All the articles on the error state to try using CHKDSK /R to repair the partition,
but if that does not work you are going to have to reinstall XP.
You should contact Tech Support Directly for reinstall instructions.
*Make sure to backup all important data before you reinstall XP.

You can E-mail Desktop support, using the following web address:

31 Posts

June 9th, 2003 06:00

how do you backup ntfs data if you don't have an xp operating system running in the first place?!?

11 Posts

June 9th, 2003 13:00

That's exactly what I'd like to know!

Isn't it weird that 3 of us are complaining about the same catastrophe?  I was wondering if I'm the only one who had just installed new hardware (a replacement cpu fan, in my case,) or software (I had just downloaded the latest Norton AntiVirus updates, this was the first time I booted up after the download.)?

105 Posts

June 9th, 2003 17:00

Helen,

Unfortunatly you are not the first and you will not be the last.

Most of the time a boot to the recovery consol and a chkdsk /r command will fix ya right up... sometimes you must do the full format/reinstall also.

I swear I think sometimes data backup companies pay MS to put bugs like this in their OS :P

June 10th, 2003 22:00

guys this is crazy, how many people can have the same vague rare catastrophe. anyway, is reinstalling xp the only solution? i dont think im alone in not wanting to lose 40 gig of life. any alternatives?

31 Posts

June 10th, 2003 22:00

hrm.... still the chkdsk procedure as advertised by dell warns that some data loss might occur. i'm extremely worried at how much! and as dell suggested, the data should be back up first - but how would that be done w/o an o/s?

also, i didn't install anything new for about 24 hrs since my system crashed. the sys started running extremely slow and i had to just shut it off (the dimension 8200 doesn't exactly have a reset button and cntl-alt-del wasn't working and the system wasn't responding to any regular input).

and... i have always downloaded the xp updates as they show up on my taskbar. if that makes a difference..

31 Posts

June 11th, 2003 04:00

hi. check out http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_harddrive&message.id=49287 

there are other things besides reinstalling and reformatting... but then, right now i'm wondering whether i should take my computer to a professional or run the risks myself. apparently the other alternatives to reinstalling have some risk of data loss! i don't know how much - hopefully someone who's tried it can tell me how much they've lost.

105 Posts

June 11th, 2003 12:00

I personally have run the chkdsk /r and resolved this many times..... the times it resolved it I personally never experanced any data lose

There were times when the system came back up it looked like the data was gone but doing a search for it by name always found it

31 Posts

June 12th, 2003 12:00

did you run chkdsk after a unmountable_boot_volume ...?

how big was your hd... were you running windows xp pro?

105 Posts

June 15th, 2003 10:00

yes, CHKDSK /R

Why on earth would the size fo the HDD has any relavence ?

20 gig, 30 gig, 40 gig, 60 gig - had it succede and fail on all

Yes, XP pro ( problem only exists in xp versions as far as I know. Home or pro makes no diffrence on this error)

No Events found!