Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2005 18:00

USB Keyboard and Mouse not working

I recently made a copy of one hard drive to another we received from Dell.  After I installed the hard drive (new from Dell) back into the desktop, the keyboard and mouse act as if they are not connected.  I tried a working USB keyboard and mouse and get the same results. 

Thanks for your help.

9.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2005 14:00

What model Optiplex do you have and what OS are you trying to install?

1 Message

November 25th, 2005 08:00

Same problem here.

Just had the MoBo and processor changed on a GX280 / Windows 2000.

OK getting into the BIOS on startup so the USB is on but nothing when it boots to the Windows login screen. I've tried different ports and still nothing at all - no sign of the KB or Mouse via USB :-(

2 Posts

November 28th, 2005 20:00

It's a Dell Otiplex Gx280 with Windows XP. 

One thing that worked, which was weird, I went into the BIOS.  I made no changes, got out, booted up and the mouse and keyboard were working.

9.3K Posts

November 29th, 2005 13:00

I did some changes on my Poweredge 400SC the other day and after plugging the USB keyboard and mouse back in, it took a few minutes of just sitting at the logon screen before I could use the keyboard to log on. I think it had to find the 'new' hardware as I probably plugged the devices into different ports than I had had them before.

Maybe this is what your system had as well.

Message Edited by Dev Mgr on 11-29-2005 09:01 AM

7 Posts

December 1st, 2005 16:00

I have the same problem here (Optiplex GX400) please help

December 8th, 2005 11:00

I have a GX280 at work that is having a very hard time with the USB keyboard. The user complains of it stopping to work multiple times a day. I have replaced the keyboard but with no luck. It will stop in the middle of her working, and most of the times she can unplug it and plug it back in and it will start working again after a few minutes. The user should not have to do this, though.

We also just got a bunch of GX620's that can take a very long time to recognize the USB keyboards every time the computer boots up, but once they are recognized there's no problem. Many users are complaining about how long it takes before their keyboard works, however.

The GX280 is running Windows XP SP1. The GX620's are running Windows XP SP2.

I'm beginning to get a very bad feeling about these USB keyboards... why in the world did Dell start getting rid of PS/2 ports?

3 Posts

December 16th, 2005 21:00

We are having similar problems with GX620 systems having the USB keyboard lock up as the users are typing, surfing, etc.  Just out of the blue the keyboard will become non-functional.  Nearly everytime switching the keyboard to a different USB port will make it functional again, but in a couple cases that didn't work either.  As a general rule the USB port closest to the onboard NIC port is used for the optical mouse.  The USB port next to the USB port used for the mouse is the one we've used for the keyboard.

We are having that happen frequently on some GX620's and not at all on others.  All were loaded with the same OS image at the start.  We're running XP SP2.

We also have had that happen a couple of times with the USB optical mouse.  Switching to a different USB port for the mouse always has solved the problem.

I may go check for a BIOS update, but these are fairly new systems.  When I installed the first one a couple months ago the BIOS version was current.  Any of you Dell people aware of a recent BIOS update for the OptiPlex GX620 systems?

3 Posts

December 27th, 2005 13:00

Check for popped capacitors.  Good examples at http://www.badcaps.com

3 Posts

January 18th, 2006 12:00

Although our systems were not much more than a month old we resolved the issue by updating the BIOS. The BIOS version that came with the systems was two versions behind the current version.  We've not had any systems experience the problem with the USB keyboard locking up since.

1.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2006 08:00

I have several Dimension and Optiplex workstations that will for no reason stop responding to both keboard and mouse. All are either Dimension 8400 series or Optiplex GX280 series.

I don't think USB has anything to do with the problem because half of the workstations are PS2 connections and the other half are USB. Both types will stop responding, requires a reboot to get them back working again.

From what I have witnessed: An individual will highlight text in a box either within a browser or application then go to type over the highlight causing the keyboard and mouse to completely stop working. I don't understand the problem at all, but it does exist at times, then goes away.

All units have the latest BIOS version available from Dell.

Has me scratching my head....

Message Edited by ManyDimensions on 02-23-2006 04:56 AM

2 Posts

June 1st, 2006 14:00

@websurvivor wrote:
We also just got a bunch of GX620's that can take a very long time to recognize the USB keyboards every time the computer boots up, but once they are recognized there's no problem. Many users are complaining about how long it takes before their keyboard works, however.

I'm beginning to get a very bad feeling about these USB keyboards... why in the world did Dell start getting rid of PS/2 ports?

We are having the same problem with the gx 280 in the same way. To our concliusion is that the usb does not have the right power distorbution. The usb is under powered and will not power all of your devices. We have been using a powered hub and it seem to work but the motherboard should power a mouse and keyboard no problem.

I agree with you WHY did Dell get rid of the ps2 ports???
It would be nice for a back up. When the USB stops working :)
No Events found!