Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 26th, 2008 13:00

USB Ports not working on Vostro 200

this is a strange one for me, i have a vostro running xp pro and mirror raid setup. none of my usb ports are working in windows - however they work in the bios :-| . I am guessing that maybe the drivers are corrupt but i cant get into the system to try and fix it. would there be a way, say through dos to replace the usb driver files? if so what files would i need? 

I have removed one of the drives to try and recover my data onto another vostro but when i go into the documents and settings folder my account is listed but i cant get access to it, i am prepared for a full recovery but i need data from the account.

any solutions to the above would be welcome.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 26th, 2008 17:00

This USB problem has come up frequently on various model PCs. Hard to say exactly what your fix will be, but go here  and you'll find bunches of posts on these forums with different suggestions. You may have to try several of them before you find the one that works for you.

Ron

75 Posts

February 26th, 2008 18:00

thanks RoHe,

will have a look and report back

75 Posts

February 27th, 2008 19:00

well, ive updated the bios which was easy to do as usb ports work in bios and dos, i have read that a windows update stopped legacy usb drivers from working, im guessing thats the problem , but with no input to get into windows i dont know how to fix it. i have tried a powered hub which lights up until windows logo appears then all lights go out and devices disappear :-|

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 28th, 2008 00:00

Is there a version of Dell's Desktop System Software for this PC? And has there been an update?

Try unplugging the tower from the wall. Press/hold the power button for ~30-60 sec. With only mouse and keyboard connected to USB, try to reboot.

If that doesn't help, maybe removing the battery from the motherboard and holding the power button for ~30 sec (clearing NVRAM) might help. Replace the battery -right side up- and only connect mouse and keyboard to USB.

Other than that, if it's a software issue, you may have to reinstall Windows, unless somebody has a brighter idea. So I hope your files are backed up on CD. Otherwise, you could put this hard drive in another system as a secondary drive so you can copy your files before running PC Restore to reset it to exactly the way Dell shipped it.

Ron
Message Edited by RoHe on 02-27-2008 06:19 PM

1 Message

February 19th, 2009 11:00

I have the same problem, when using my HP B8350 Printer it works for a while then I loose the USB connection.  After I restart the USB port works again.  Likewise if I move the usb plug to a front port it works for a while then goes out as well.  I got a 7 port usb hub with it's own power supply and it still quits working after a few days.

Any Ideas.  Dell is no help so far.

1 Message

December 16th, 2012 22:00

UNINSTALL YOUR CHIPSET DRIVER

IQUEBAL

No Events found!