Highlighted

Upgrade Inspiron 3650

Is there any reason that I can't add 2 additional 2.5 HHD to my Inspiron 3650 connected to a RAID controller

0 Kudos
10 Replies

RE: Upgrade Inspiron 3650

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

To answer your question, firstly the system is not designed for RAID operation and secondly the chipset is set in a way to only accept one hard drive.

Thank you,
Lijo Joshi
Social Media and Community Professional
Order Status
Download Drivers

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

If you have an open slot for the controller and there's physical space for the drives -- both of which your should check before purchasing -- the other issue is that there likely will not be power connectors for two more drives so you'll also need to buy as many splitters as you need SATA power connectors.

0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

The most basic reason is that there are not 2 additional power connections on a 220W itty bitty power supply.  There are also not 2 additional places to put 2X  2.5 inch HDD.   There is also NOT AN X4 slot and you cant put a raid card in the X16 video slot this is not supported.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Your answer is incorrect and makes no sense.

Firstly, a "system" is a collection of discrete components each of which have exact specifications. When you say "system" you are being very imprecise. I can only assume that you mean the motherboard does not "natively" support RAID. That's a given, many motherboards do not have built in chip sets and connectors that supply RAID functionality, however and because of this fact there are countless 3-rd party venders that manufacture RAID cards (collectively known as "expansion" cards) that do provide RAID functionality. Look up "RocketRaid 622" which plugs into a PCIe x1 and provides two SATA connections.

Secondly, you mention some "chipset" that supposedly only allows one hard drive to function with this motherboard.

This is obviously incorrect as this machine (Inspiron 3650) is advertised with either one 3.5 inch or two 2.5 drives. Why the "or" in the advertisement makes no sense as hard drives are not controlled by any "chipset" but rather only "recognized" by the BIOS. Unless you are trying to say that DELL has created a completely nonstandard BIOS.

In addition, having built computers for over 30 years, I have never heard of any "chipset" that regulates or limits the number of hard drives which can be attached to a motherboard.

If you would be so kind as to name that chipset - I would be most interested.

Lastly - All functionality related to RAID is contained on the expansion card and the "communication bus" and the BIOS only sees the RAID array as one drive.

So, I don't see why a PCIe RAID card wouldn't work perfectly with this Inspiron 3650.

0 Kudos

That's a given, but thanks anyway

0 Kudos

SpeedStep wrote - "The most basic reason is that there are not 2 additional power connections on a 220W itty bitty power supply.  There are also not 2 additional places to put 2X  2.5 inch HDD.   There is also NOT AN X4 slot and you cant put a raid card in the X16 video slot this is not supported."

This is not a useful answer.

First - the additional power connectors needed are easily handled with a power splitter cable, which 3-rd party venders have been selling and everybody has been using for decades.

Secondly - There are two spaces for 2.5-inch HDD clearly shown in the pic you posted. My machine only has one 3.5-inch HDD at present. So, those two spaces are currently empty.

Third - the RAID cards I'm looking at only require a PCIe x-1 slot of which there are currently two available. (your pic of the mother board) There are no RAID cards that require x-16 slots and besides the Video card is currently occupying that x-16 slot.

The only REAL question is - what "version" of PCIe do these two x-1 slots support?

0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

PCI-E 3.0/2.0 is not backwards compatible down to PCI-E 1.1 

the 110 chipset is mixed bus with the X1 slots operating at 2.0 speed and the X16 slot operating at 3.0 speed.

(The bus does not down clock to the old speed and the UEFI Secure boot will prevent mass storage controller bios from booting.)

Only PCI-E 2.1 and 3.0 cards will work.   Not working PCI-E X1 cards are due to several of these factors.  X1 has nothing to do with Version of PCI-E.

Adding Splitters does not increase the power output of the supply.

Drivers for hardware and software do not load at all in secure boot systems unless they have Microsoft Certificates in BIOS.

The chipset is H110 aka 100 series Chipset.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Jolynn315
Bronze

Not only are there spaces for two ssd drives as well as an optical and hdd but you can also remove the slim optical and utilize the entire 5.25in drive bay by getting an adapter to allow the placement of another drive honestly I bought an external optical drive and anytime I need to burn a disk or watch a movie or boot from a cd/DVD I can simply plug the external in and all set I actually Purchased two y- power connectors for sata power and added Three additional drive as my pc came with only 1 hdd and everyone knows you can't go back to an hdd when you're accustomed to booting from an sdd it's so agonizingly slow

0 Kudos
Jolynn315
Bronze

Not only are there spaces for two ssd drives as well as an optical and hdd but you can also remove the slim optical and utilize the entire 5.25in drive bay by getting an adapter to allow the placement of another drive honestly I bought an external optical drive and anytime I need to burn a disk or watch a movie or boot from a cd/DVD I can simply plug the external in and all set I actually Purchased two y- power connectors for sata power and added Three additional drive as my pc came with only 1 hdd and everyone knows you can't go back to an hdd when you're accustomed to booting from an sdd it's so agonizingly slow and the bios shows every drive

0 Kudos