Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

May 7th, 2009 14:00

Using the Semantec Full Restore

I want to save the windows files (on external media) that save and intervace with Windows Fax ...( I mean Fax Console, Address Book, Cover editor) to reinstall after the Full wipe and software reinstall.  I really want the records of the in and out faxes in the Console.  The unit is an old Dim 2400 with XP SP3 and a seperately licensed Office 03 program.  It seems to me that along with externally saveing (to paste and overwrite) docs in my docs, etc., one ought to be able to do what I am thinking with fax programs. I have successfully done the full restore on other Dells, but the one in question has been my fax maching so presets a new issue. // Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 7th, 2009 17:00

Faxes sent via Microsoft Fax console using an internal PC fax modem (not a stand-alone fax machine) are saved in folders on your hard drive  in the folder: 

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax

(Note: your drive letter, eg C:, may be different). Open this folder and look for the folders "Inbox" and "SentItems".  You can copy those files to external media. After reinstalling XP or using PCRestore, you can replace the newly created Inbox and SentItems folders on the hard drive with the ones you saved.  If you've created your own cover page(s), look for them in that same  ...\MSFax folder or possibly in the Common Coverpage subfolder within that main folder.

For Windows Address Book, open the app and click File>Export>Address book (WAB). Save the file on external media, or if you're backing up on a CD, save it to your desktop and then burn on a CD. After you've reinstalled XP, open address book and click File>Import>Address Book (WAB) and point it at the backup copy you created.

Ron

No Events found!