Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2010 00:00

VOSTRO 200 "NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE IS INSTALLED"

I pray that someone can please help me with this problem before I lose my mind. I have a Dell Desktop Vostro 200 Windows Vista 32-bit. I have not had sound since last year, and ever since then i've been on a mission to regain sound. I've NEVER had a problem with my computer and sound until last year. I listened to my music on a daily basis via my computer and one day I shut it down, turned it back on the following day and NOTHING. Ever since then i've been trying everything under the sun to fix this problem, i've even been in contact with the windows vista techs so they could help me fix this problem and still nothing. I've gone to device maanager: sounds, game controllers... and scanned hardware for changes and nothing, i've gone to control panel and tried seeing what I could do there and still nothing. Nothing works at all, you name it and im sure i've tried it. I have RealTek HD. I've even scanned my computer while it was starting up (F8) and it did a "tone test" for the front and back speakers and they are working fine because I was able to hear sound. My computer tells me that nothing is wrong with my speakers at all. I've even bought several different speakers for my computer because it didn't come with any and none of them will work. I've come to realize that it isn't the speakers, it's my computer. Recently I had a BSOD and I re-started my computer to factory settings, so everything is how it was when I first bought this computer and all the stuff I had on it before was wiped out, and it STILL didnt fix the problem. Im tired of seeing that red X and reading "no audio output device installed," when im clearly looking at my speaker cord hanging from there. Also, i've done the uninstalling and re-installing for everything. I highly doubt it's the sound card being that I was able to hear sound during the "tone test" my computer did. Im at my wits end. So can someone PLEASE HELP ME!!! All help will be immensly appreciated. Sorry for giving you a story, I just wanted you to have all the facts before you attempted to help me. Once again, thank you.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 9th, 2010 03:00

Have you tried installing the Dell sound drivers? If not, that is the first step.  HERE is the Dell driver download.  Click the Blue download button to download, DO NOT use the Dell download manager.  Follow the listed instructions to install the sound drivers.

January 9th, 2010 22:00

Thank you fireberd, I tried that and still nothing.

2.8K Posts

January 9th, 2010 22:00

MorenitaMami,
Exactly where are you seeing a red X and reading "no audio output device installed?" It almost sounds as if your sound card is disabled in Windows. If that's the case all you need to do is re-enable it.

January 10th, 2010 00:00

picture of a speaker with a red circle and white X inside of it. I've tried everything. I even checked to see if the volume was muted and it says no audio device installed. I un-plugged and re-plugged my speakers and still nothing. I also uninstalled Realtek and re-installed it, and im having the same problem

2.8K Posts

January 10th, 2010 10:00

What's listed on the Playback tab of the Sound applet in Control Panel? How does the Realtek device appear in Device Manager? Is there an exlamation point or red X on it there?

January 10th, 2010 19:00

On the playback tab it say's, speakers: Realtek High Definition audio not plugged in and the speakers are clearly plugged in, I've even tried headphones and still nothing. It says the same thing in device manager and it says that everything is working properly. There is no exclamation point or red X at all.

2.8K Posts

January 11th, 2010 12:00

My XPS One also has Realtek HD audio. Open the Realtek HD Audio Manager. Is the Set Default Device button grayed out on the Speakers tab?

January 11th, 2010 18:00

Yes. When I click on Realtek HD Audio Manager, on the right side under analog all of the tabs are grayed out, front and back panel including the speakers tab.

2.8K Posts

January 12th, 2010 09:00

You may have a newer version of Audio Manager installed if there are tabs along the right side of the interface. Is there a button labeled Set Default Device just to the left of the word Analog over there? Do you have a Digital Output tab next to the Speakers tab?

January 12th, 2010 11:00

I guess I Do. I have 6.01.... I can remember the rest. But I dont see a button labeled Default Device anywhere. Above the Analog section, there is a device advanced settings tab but that's about it. I dont have a Digital Output tab next to the speakers tab.

1 Message

January 12th, 2010 12:00

I had lost my volume controller and found a file called :   sndvol32.exe I ran it and got my controller back. Doubt this helps you, but I don't have anything else. 

January 12th, 2010 19:00

That didn't work, but thanks for your help

2.8K Posts

January 14th, 2010 10:00

I think you should try a 'hard reset' of sorts for your audio controller. To do this you'll need to go to the Integrated Peripherals section of the BIOS and set the Onboard Audio Connector to disabled. Exit the BIOS (be sure to save changes) then go to Programs and Features in Control Panel once you're back in Vista. Uninstall any software having to do with the Realtek audio then restart the system and let it boot back into Vista normally. Since the audio controller is disabled in the BIOS at this point Windows shouldn't detect any new hardware. Restart the computer, go back into the BIOS and enable the Onboard Audio Connector. Once you exit the BIOS and let Windows start this time it should detect a multimedia audio device (or something similar). Don't install the driver via the New Hardware Wizard if one appears. Instead use the sound driver available at the link fireberd posted earlier in this thread. Once the installation is finished restart the computer again and see if you still have the No Audio Output Device is installed error.

January 23rd, 2010 15:00

I tried everything you stated to do and im still getting No Audio Output Device is installed

February 7th, 2010 21:00

I also have a Vostro 200 and have been having the same issue.  I have tried everything.  I am now thinking there is some type of hardware failure with the onboard sound.  If you or anyone finds a resolution, let me know.

No Events found!